Session 28

It’s kind of funny what you think of right after a spectacular moment. You could be doing anything; laying down, having a shower, or even taking a crap for Christ’s sake, and the first thing that pops into your mind almost never makes sense. But you always end up having to laugh about it, because thinking too much could lead to a depressing mood.

What came into my mind was far from what I would’ve guessed. I was mostly expecting something out of the books and movies. You know, when the characters wake up all fresh and full of life, holding nothing but smiles and all. Haven’t you seen the way the morning sunlight hits the couple the right way, or how the birds seem to sing a song for them alone? But none of the things they show on movies or books apply to me in real life. I should’ve known that by then, but I always ended up hoping for things to go my way.

The first thing that came into my head was something’s off. I can’t tell you why or how I was so sure about that, but I can tell you that I didn’t get the chance to laugh. I didn’t even crack a smile that whole morning. It wasn’t the right moment. Everything was dark, for one. The blinds were shut, and there was an eerie quiet that hung in the room by the time I opened my eyes again. My body ached like hell, but I still managed to sense the feeling of dread running throughout the house.

Everything was way too quiet.

“Something’s wrong,” Keenan said beside me. His voice was soft, barely above a whisper yet heavily grasped onto uncertainty.

We never talked about what we did or how we felt while doing it. We both figured that it would be best to leave that kind of conversation aside and let the memories to do the talking. I didn’t even get to see his eyes for a while, no matter how hard I tried to take a good look at them. He always pretended to be focusing on something else, catching everything in the room but me. Soon enough, when he had nothing left to look at, he got out of the bed with a blanket at his waist. His footsteps were hushed against the hardwood as he made his way towards the doorway.

The door swung open before his fingers could even graze the handle, revealing Lorna standing dishevelled and frantic. She still managed to glare at Keenan, her eyes sending daggers miles deep.

Lorna gave him a once over before scoffing. “Is that it? That’s why you decided to do your job so sloppily? Just because I covered for you last night, you think you can do just about anything?” She folded her arms over her chest. “I’m not your maid, kingling. Don’t expect me to keep on cleaning after you.”

“Job? I hadn’t done any job after we finished with Mason’s house.”

“Don’t play games here, Keenan. The whole house is in mayhem because of you!” She stopped herself, shaking her head. “No, there’s not enough time to argue. They’re asking me to bring the both of you outside; the rest of the kids are waiting in the yard. The police will be here any minute, so if you have anything to collect off of the body—”

“Body?” Keenan and I asked in unison. Lorna paused for a moment, her arms slipping down to her sides.

“What other body is there other than Isaac’s? Why are your expressions so surprised? I thought you already saw him in the tub, and maybe you were so distracted that you couldn’t clean it up. There’s a neat hole in his chest, so you must’ve taken the soul, right?”

If I could play back every moment from the night before, or every good time spent to forget the look on his face that day, I would. But I don’t think anything could erase that image from my mind; that expression doused in pain, worry, and slight anger. I wish I could forget the way his body stumbled for a moment when it all hit him, or that dreadful pause in the air. I swear, it was enough to put the entire world on standstill.