Chapter 29: What is a Name

"How interesting this achari should attach to you," the master of the blue satyr-esque beings began as he dropped from the sky directly in front of me.

I didn't know the term's meaning, but it was clear it referred to Spike. An instinctual way to hide my startle at this domineering presence, I tilted my head and hardened my gaze.

I would answer, if I were you.

"Yes, it is," I agreed after my friend's advice. What the fuck else could I say?

My response peaked the demon's curiosity, "Is it now?"

Shit. Was that a smirk? I was at a loss of what I'd done wrong and how to proceed. Glancing over at Spike in a rush of anxiety, I swallowed and stupidly added, "I think so."

Its lips curled even more, "I suppose you would."

Growing frantic at his looming, never lessening demeanor, I blinked rapidly and began stepping away, "I suppose."

With no more words from my companion, I led us from the conversation. An intense dread carried with me even until the being had allowed us leave from his view entirely. Once ensuring we were out of range, I vented to my tag-a-long.

"Did I just make an enemy? What the fuck was that?"

Spike chortled, "No. You handled it surprisingly well."

Despite knowing he wasn't the kind to placate, I still insisted, "Yeah, right. Why do you follow me around anyway? Even according to you, it's abnormal."

"Not abnormal for my species to attach to another. Achari are subservient, but only to one. Abnormal that it should be such a young creature."

Pausing when more demons and 'buildings' came into view, I turned toward him, "You chose me? Why?"

"I like you."

In another reality, the sight of this spindly creature with its blank eyes glued to me while plainly stating his affection would have been unnerving. Instead, it came across as cute. Sort of like a pitbull that didn't realize how large and powerful he was.

"I like you too," I laughed, "But that wasn't the answer I was expecting. With Hell's focus on survival, I figured it was something to do with strength."

"You already knew you were strong," his head tilted to the side, "What you didn't know is that I enjoy your presence."

"Well, thank you. While we're on that subject," my gaze swept around to see various forms of creatures going about their normal routine, "How am I to make friends?"

"Friend is a strong word for the relationships you will find here," he mused, "Acquaintance, ally, or even mate, but I would not be hopeful for friendships such as from the world you are used to."

"Hm. Guess that's not a problem, then," I sighed, "I never had friends there either."

I found living in Hell peculiar. The unspoken codes of conduct that were their convoluted culture were quite annoying. Demons worked mostly on body language and spiritual sense rather than verbal relays.

I found that some of them had never uttered a single word during their entire existence. It was deemed wasteful to use them when alternate communication would suffice. What a weird thing to condemn so strongly.

Even spoken language was different. For instance, when I said 'Hell' in reference to the place, what was heard by others might be a completely different term, one that fit their understanding of what I meant to convey.

The same sense that allowed us to know a person without giving a name translated what one individual understood into what those listening understood. Due to this, demons could comprehend any and all language regardless of what realm it came from.