birthday

for mein schwester, maquiina .  i know we've drifted apart, but.. happy birthday.  im sorry these aren't the best, but..  i don't know.  if you have any prompt suggestions, im open for anything.  i apologize if you don't like this ship anymore.  happy birthday und ich lieben dich. (also, yes, ik it's not the day yet here for me but it is for you)
category: drabbles
word counts: 543 & 440

Gusion's cooking skills were definitely not on par with his looks.  Cooking.. to say the least, he shouldn't be in the kitchen if he didn't know what he was doing.  Thankfully, though, he knew how to bake a damned cake (thank you, younger self, for being a creep and stalking the kitchen staff to learn how, dimwad) without burning down a whole city.  And, surprisingly, it didn't turn out half bad. 

From the looks of it, anyways.

Now, one may be asking--why bake a cake?  Simple.  It was Alucard's birthday, and Gusion would be damned if his boyfriend didn't get a cake for it, shitty one or not.

So, here he was, sitting in a dark kitchen(dark house, technically), waiting for Alucard to get back home.  With that, there was no way of telling when, exactly, he'd get home because the times always varied, and of course there was always the danger of--

No.  He shouldn't think about that.  Alucard could handle himself and it was a fool's mistake to think otherwise.  Yet, Gusion still worried--he would always worry, no matter what.  He was a worrywart sometimes, so what?  Alucard was out fighting demons at the risk of his life, cut Gusion some slack, please.

Ah--was that the door opening?  Finally!  An expectant grin slipped onto his face as he listened to the the quiet sounds Alucard made as the hunter was trying to silently enter the house.  Patiently, Gusion waited for Alucard to walk to the kitchen and-

"Happy Birthday!"  Gusion happily pronounced, holding the cake up.

He was met with silence.

The grin on his face slightly faltered--was it the wrong day?  Had he comepltely missed Alucard's birthday?  Fuck.  Oh, gods--it was hard enough the find out Alucard's birthday in the first place due to the fact he was never told..  Shit, shit, shit!  Oh, he was so stu--

We're those tears rolling down Alucard's cheeks?

Gusion blinked, panic seizing him, freezing him in place for a second before he set the shitty cake down onto the table and hastily went over to his lover.  "Alu--What's wrong?"

"W-What?"  The other asked, and then, as if he was surprised to find himself crying, hastily brought up his firearm and wiped away his tears.  "Sorry--sorry, I didn't realize.."  He trailed off, pausing for a second to try and find words.  Upon finding none, he settled for just hugging Gusion.  What was there to say?  What could he say?  I didn't even remember my own birthdayI haven't celebrated my birthday in years?  Or, The last time I celebrated mt birthday was before my parents died?  No, he couldn't say any of those.  Not right now, at least.  So, for right now, he would just hug Gusion tighter and burying his head into the mage's shoulder.  "Thank you."  He whispered, words barely audible.

"You're welcome."  Gusion responded, quickly hugging Alucard back and bringing up a hand, lacing his fingers through the hunter's hair.  He didn't know why Alucard was crying, why such a reaction was given, but he wouldn't pry.  Alucard would tell him when he was ready.  So, for now, he'd hug the other and then celebrate the rest of the day with him.

REVERSE VERS. (alu POV)

It'd been a long, exasperating day hunting and Alucard was tired.  All he had running through his mind was getting home and sleeping with Gusion--no, not the sleeping shit, just sleeping, dreams and spooning and cuddling and all that shit.  The mage was so adorable and perfect and cuddly and ugh--there was no way to perfectly describe his feelings towards Gusion with words.  The closest he could get to it was love and by God he loved Gusion. 

Ah, he was getting sidetracked.

With a tired sigh, he hung his jacket up on the coatrack, listening for any sounds.  Usually, Gusion would greet him upon his arrival, but apparently not this time.  Unusual, bit it was a bit late.  But, wait, was that..?  There was definitely noise coming from the kitchen, silent as it was.  His eyebrows slightly furrowed together as he made his way to the kitchen, walking in only to be met with-

"Happy birthday!"  Gusion pronounced with a grin, a kind-of-okay cake held in his hands, obviously made by none other than himself.

Birthday-?  Oh.  Was it his..?  How did Gusion..?  Oh.  Oh.  When was the last time someone had told him that?  His parents?  Yes--how long ago was that?  Years.  So many years ago.  It was a faint memory, but one he could probably bring to life by focusing on it; his mother's smile as she placed down the cake, his father's hearty grin as he spoke something about a man Alucard would soon become. 

"Alu--What's wrong?"  Gusion's voice snapped Alucard out of his thoughts and..  Was he crying?

"W-What?"  The other asked, and then, as if he was surprised to find himself crying, hastily brought up his firearm and wiped away his tears.  "Sorry--sorry, I didn't realize.."  He trailed off, pausing for a second to try and find words.  Upon finding none, he settled for just hugging Gusion.  What was there to say?  What could he say?  I didn't even remember my own birthday?  I haven't celebrated my birthday in years?  Or, The last time I celebrated mt birthday was before my parents died?  No, he couldn't say any of those.  Not right now, at least.  So, for right now, he would just hug Gusion tighter and burying his head into the mage's shoulder.  "Thank you."  He whispered, words barely audible.

Gusion was quick to hug Alucard back, comforting and soothing the hunter.  "You're welcome."  The mage said, lacing his fingers through Alucard's hair, lulling Alucard's thoughts away from the past and back to the present, back to the now, back to Gusion and his warmth.