Seventh

I got to stay in the hospital for two more days before the nurse came in and pretty much told us that they wanted us out. I watched her walk in like she was trying to be James Bond or something, really slow and calculated with a piece of paper in her hand. Mom was looking at her phone when she saw me staring out of the room. She turned and looked to see the nurse walking really slow and got up, deciding to meet the girl at the door instead. They had a heated argument of some kind and then Mom snatched the paper from her hand and closed the door hard. She ran her fingers through her brown hair and then looked at me.

"Well, I guess you'll be going home tomorrow." She said with a wave of the paper.

"I see. They haven't done anything." I said, looking at my stomach.

"I know and your father and I have been begging them to do some more tests now that you're awake, but they just won't do it."

"What about the other hospital? Do you think they would be willing to try?"

"I don't know, sweetheart. I have to call your father and tell him what's going on."

"Hey, Mom?"

"Yes?"

"I... I know your job probably let you off to let you come here and all but... did they let you off permanently?"

"Why are you asking?" Mom said with a face.

"Because I just wondered..."

"Not that I'm aware of. It's not of your concern, sweetie. You just focus on getting some weight back on that scrawny body of yours. Your child can't grow if you look like that."

She smiled and then left the room. I sighed, laying back on the pillows. I can't tell if she's okay with all of this or if she's really trying not to scream in terror. All I knew was that this avoiding shit is really annoying. These people are supposed to want to see new discovery and stuff and really want to find out some things. But they're just allowing their personal preferences to get in the way.

The door opened and I am surprised to find a nurse coming in.

"I'm here to check your vitals and see if there's anything you need." She said, pushing small cart over that has a really tiny laptop and some instruments.

She checked the IV fluid and then did a couple of other things. She then looked at my stomach and back up at me.

"Is that really a kid in there?"

"So I've heard. The doctors won't do another ultrasound on me to show me the proof." I said with a look.

"I heard the doctor who did the initial ultrasound actually had a heart attack after checking you out because it was so bizarre but completely accurate. I wasn't here that day to confirm it but I mean, it's got to be very confusing and odd... How do you feel about it?"

It was the first time anyone actually asked my opinion on the matter. Now that I thought about it, it was kind of a strange impasse of emotions. It was new and exhilarating to know that I was a guy carrying a kid, but it was also scary and terrifying for the same reason. I felt like I was a freak to other people, but I actually didn't have any ill will towards the baby or whatever was in there. I don't know what the aliens looked like without their glamours on as humans so I have no idea what it could look like; but no matter the case, the fact of it being inside of me wasn't at all gross to me. I felt like the aliens had a reason for doing this to me, or they wouldn't have done it. I know that sounds weird, but while I was up there, the first part of me being in their ship, I was drugged or I was passed out. It wasn't until the last part of the abduction that I was allowed to be cognizant and 'free'. I don't think they were hostile at all. Whatever the case, my predicament didn't bother me personally but I was afraid for what it was doing to everyone around me.