Ninth

I went to sleep early after watching a couple of shows with Dad and missed dinner completely. To be honest, I really wasn't that hungry anyway. When I went to sleep though, I dreamed of the night that I got taken. It wasn't detailed in the way of me getting taken, but it was detailed about the reason it even happened in the first place. I remembered just wanting some chips and me and Dad were yelling at each other. I said some horrible things to him and he said some horrible things to me. I remember slamming the door and walking out, heading to the store that wasn't that far from the house. Then I woke up on the ship, away from my parents and away from Earth.

The first part of the abduction was a blur to me because they were keeping me sedated half the time, but then when I realized I wasn't even in the vicinity of my own planet anymore, that's when things started getting to me. At first, I thought maybe I really did get hit by a car and I was in the hospital. I remembered the smell of sterilization and the clinking of steel utensils and the sad part about it is that at the time, I was still being kind of a dick. My first thoughts were, "Ha! Look what happened, Dad. Now you have to eat your words and come be with me cuz you're not man enough to keep your promise." I know that's a priggish thought, but the fight had only happened just hours ago to me.

When I was finally able to get out of my sedation and saw that I wasn't home anymore, a panic tore through me that maybe I wished myself into a situation I didn't want to be in. I still blamed my dad though, thinking that if he hadn't been such a jackass towards me then I would have never walked out the door and I wouldn't be in this situation. But then the days dragged on.

First, I missed my mom, but that didn't surprise me. My mom had always been a great source of comfort and reason for me and she'd know how to get me out of this mess. To not have her around as a support to me was starting to make me crave home more and more. After the first month though, everything I ever believed of my parents was gone and I saw the wisdom in some of the things they said. I also saw the flaws in my own personality and vowed that if I could just make it home to them, I would change and be a good son. When the aliens started to do more stuff to me, I realized then that I had no one to protect me. I had no one to comfort me.

Suddenly, nothing mattered more than my mom and my dad. Getting back to them was the first rule of priority. I didn't care what happened, as long as I got to see them before I died. When those aliens tried to deceive me and did that shitty mind thing on me, it drove me more to get back home. I wanted my Mom's comfort, I wanted my Dad's protection, I wanted my parents' love and support. I craved it.

I needed it.

**************************

"Max... Max, sweetheart... Maxey, wake up."

I gasped, sitting up quickly. Mom moved away from me before we bumped heads as I just sat there for a moment, shaking and breathing heavily. I felt Mom touch my face softly and I turned to her, my eyes focusing.

"You were having a bad dream, sweetie."

"No... No, I was having a memory..." I said, rubbing my hands on my arms. "I... I just... I remembered how I felt when I got abducted and how I eventually adjusted my thinking... I..."

Mom put her hand on my knee. "It's alright, Max, you're home now."

I nodded. "Yeah... yeah..."

I closed my eyes a bit and breathed in, trying to get my bearings. I was home now... but...

"Max, what's wrong?"

"Huh?"

"Why are you crying?"

I looked down at my stomach, which was protruding a little more than usual today, and realized that no matter what happened, I didn't come back the same. Mentally, physically, emotionally; I was different. This thing inside of me has warped my body into something that I honestly don't understand. I was already emotional, realizing while I was trapped that I didn't say things the way I should have and I didn't say things that I should have. I thought I'd never see my family again... and this thing wasn't helping me in the least. I wasn't the same...