Eighteenth

I took my shower, scrubbing sweat and dirt from god knows how long off of my body. Being so sick all the time really messed up my sense of hygiene. I need to be a little more conscientious about my hygiene but being laid up in bed with a mound of flesh on top of you can really make you feel like you can't do anything. I suddenly felt a flutter inside my stomach and I gasped, dropping my rag in the bottom of the tub. I cursed but put my hands on my stomach and felt the flutters again. I left my hands there for a moment when I felt something roll across the top of my stomach.

"Wow..." I said, completely blown away.

It was definitely a crazy feeling to feel something growing inside of me but to feel it move and know that it's actually alive... I stared at my stomach for a good bit and then finally figured out a way to get my rag from the bottom of the tub and finished my shower.

********************

I stepped out of the bathroom with the towel around my waist when Mom came out of her room. She looked over and gasped, prompting me to immediately try to keep her from seeing my exposed tum.

"Sorry, I didn't think anyone would be up here."

"It's okay, honey. I just though you were still asleep."

"Yeah... well... I took a bath so... hehe..."

What the hell? Why am I acting so shy around my mom? The flutters happened again and I put my hand on my exposed stomach, suddenly very self-conscious.

"Uh... I'm going to change clothes and eat breakfast. I asked Dad, but I thought I should ask you too, um... do you... do you wanna go somewhere with me?"

Mom blinked a little and then smiled. "Of course, Max."

"I mean you don't have to if you don't want to. I mean, last time I punched you in the eye and stuff and I ruined it for everyone and-"

I felt Mom touch my cheek and I looked up at her as she gave me a kind smile.

"Stop rambling about the past. We know what happened and I don't hold it again you. I would love to spend some time with you, sweetheart."

I smiled and pulled away, feeling a little awkward.

"Cool... cool... great..." I mumble, running my fingers through my hair.

God this awkwardness is really becoming cheezy. I guess because normally a seventeen year old kid doesn't ask his parents if they want to hang out with him or something.

"Where did you want to go?"

"Well, I still wanted to go to <u>Mama Ganeshka's</u> since I didn't get to go last time..."

"Of course..." I gasped, putting my hand to my stomach again. Damn these flutters! "Max?"

"I... I think the baby is moving. I keep feeling these weird little sensations kind of like a flutter."

Mom looked at my distended and exposed stomach and then looked back at me.

"May I?" she asked, gesturing with her hands.

I hugged my stomach. "Why?"

"Well, I was pregnant before, so I could verify if it's the baby or not."

Oh god, I didn't think this would happen. I started to hyperventilate. I barely like touching my own stomach and now my mom wants to touch it? And like, feel it and stuff? I had to protect it from the people of this town who wanted to label me a freak and if they could get their hands on me, probably experiment on me... but my mom isn't like that... She's not one of those people...