Eleventh

Not learning for a while can really take its toll on the mind. I stared at the homework I was given and was confused about everything. Nothing made any sense and when I tried what I thought I knew, I realized that I knew nothing still.

*****************************

Eventually, I got tired of looking at books and shoved everything to the end of the bed, crossing my arms.

"This is bullshit..." I said as I looked at one of math problems in the book. "How am I supposed to know Algebra when I haven't looked at numbers like this in so long? I need a tutor..."

A small knock came at the door and I looked up, finding Mom opening the door.

"Hey, sweetie, how's it coming?"

"It's not. I don't remember anything." I said with a pout.

Mom laughed and came all the way in, looking at the books on my bed.

"Do you want me to try and find someone to help you?"

"Yeah, who? No one is going to want to help me with these stupid rumors going around about me being able to like, transmit this or something."

"Well, since they would be tutoring, we'd pay them."

"Don't do that, Mom. They can just suck it."

"Not to be condescending, but you did ask for this, Max."

"I'm not saying that I'm not grateful for it; I mean, I got the language arts and science stuff all done. It's just math... you know I was never good at it. You guys were yelling at me about it before-"

I looked up at her as she smiled at me and I looked away.

"I'm talking as if things are normal and I just came back from a trip or something."

"That's a good thing, Max. Dwelling on your experience will only make things worse for you in the long run. The fact that you're talking as if nothing happened isn't something to be ashamed of."

"It's just... I just accused Dad of being an alien but here I am, being okay with you. I don't know why I keep doing that to him."

"Probably to do with the fight and everything... Do you want me to try and find someone to tutor you?"

"No... I mean, what's the point anyway? Would these people even let me graduate?"

"I don't know but they can't really do that."

"They can't not help me when I'm in the hospital either but they did." I said with a look.

Mom shrugged. "True... We'll find someone to help you, Max, I promise."

"I know... I'm done with homework for tonight. I'll start on it tomorrow."

"Anything in particular you want for dinner?"

"To be honest, I'm not really that hungry... Could you get me a coke though?"

"Of course." She said as she started to leave.

"Actually..." She turned back as I looked down at my belly. "Um... there is a place I want food from but they don't deliver."

"Where do you want to go?"

"Mama Ganeshka's East Indian Bar and Bazaar."

Mom blinked at me for a moment. "Mama Ganeshka's?"

"Y-yeah... I mean... I know we'd have to actually go in public and they'd probably not serve us but I just thought maybe... you know..."

"We can't."