Dawn of Battle

Lucy saw flashes of times Leandre was with them. The voice among the crowd which was their family. She was the reason they always stopped fighting with just the use of her words.

Now she's gone.

Susan couldn't believe what had just happened in the last few minutes with Aslan's death and Leandre dying in front if her and Lucy. Why would she risk her life like that? What made her do that?

"General, gather your army and prepare for battle. However short it may be"

Jadis said as she continued to stare at the dead body of her enemy. Her gaze went to Leandre's dead body and she almost sneered at how peaceful she looked. Almost as if she was sleeping.

It sickened her.

"Throw that wasting body to the river. At least the creatures will have something nice to feast on"

Otmin nodded before he grabbed the dead body by the ankle and hoisted it on his shoulders before he made his way to the cliff where the river flowed below.

Susan and Lucy followed him and saw him throw Leandre harshly down and Lucy had half a mind to hit Otmin with her dagger but a shake of head from her sister made her stop.

Once he left, they quickly made their way to where he threw Leandre in. Lucy knelt down and she began to cry again while Susan bowed her head with tears threatening to fall.

Lucy held back another sob as she took out the locket that held the picture of her parent. It was the same locket Leandre gave her on the train.

"Here Lea, you need it more than I do so that you won't be lonely ever again"

Lucy said as she gently let the locket fall. It twinkled before it disappear into the depths below. Susan turned to see the army on the move.

"We have to check on Aslan"

***

The sight was worse than before. The girls saw less of the majestic and humble leader and more of the pale and hollow shell of the great lion.

Lucy lightly touched the muzzle on Aslan before she gasped and hurriedly grabbed her healing potion "It's too late" Susan said and Lucy froze at her sister's words.

You can only heal injuries from live people and creatures, not corpses.

"He's gone. He must have known what he was doing"

Susan said trying to reassure the both of them "We have to go" Susan said, they must warn their brothers on the witch's move and the news on Aslan's death.

"We can't just leave him here"

Lucy argued meekly and Susan froze "Lucy there's no time, we have to tell the others" Susan pleaded. There was no way she was going to let Leandre and Aslan's sacrifice be in vain.

A breeze floated by and Lucy's gaze was directed to the forest surrounding them.

"The Trees"

***

Peter felt a light tap on his cheek and he grunted before he turned himself over to find some sleep.

There was a tap again and from his semi conscious mind, he felt the distinct touch if a flower petal and he slowly opened his eyes.

Pink petals swirled in the tent and Peter instinctively pulled out his sword. Edmund turned and his eyes went wide when the figure of a woman emerged from the thousands of flower petals.

"Be still my princes. I bring grave news from your sisters"

Edmund and Peter looked at one another in confusion and slight worry.

***

Peter opened the flaps of the tent as he stared down at the map on where the battle is.

"It's true, he's gone"

Peter said with a solemn look on his face "Then you'll have to lead us. There's a whole army out there waiting to follow you" Edmund said and Peter stared at him as of he had gone mad.

"I can't"

The feeling of nervousness and fear of the heavy weight that was being placed on his shoulders was seen through by Edmund.

"Aslan believed you could...and so do I" Edmund whispered the last part but it was enough encouragement for Peter to stop doubting himself.

"What are your orders sire?"

Oreius asked and Peter stared down at the board in front of them. Battle planning was not his forte until he remembered something from Leandre while they were both playing a game.

"Honestly, how do you do it?!"

Peter said as he crossed his arms in annoyance when Leandre smiled and said "Checkmate".

"Honestly Peter you do not see the similarities of planning strategies and playing chess?"

Peter stared at her in confusion and Leandre sighed "You know...I believe that the soldiers out there fighting the war are good at playing chess" Peter blinked.

"Why would they be good at playing chess?"

"Well, each piece is like a soldier with his or her own skills. As the player or in the real world, a leader, you must have a strategy in beating your opponents"

"That...actually makes sense"

Edmund came walking through with the groceries in hand and turned to stare at the game.

"You opened your King to Leandre's Bishop brother"

"Checkmate"

"Oh come on!"

Peter blinked before he stared down and silently thanked Leandre for those boring times of chess.

"I have an idea"

***

The sun glared down the vast meadow as a lone gryphon soared through the sky and landed right next to Peter.

"They come, your highness, in numbers and weapons far greater then our own"

The gryphon said as he stared at the young boy who was once afraid of the whole world, now was the grown man bound to protect those he loved dear.

Peter was barely recognizable as he sat on a white unicorn with his silver armour and Aslan's emblem on his chest "Numbers do not win a battle" Oreius stated as he stared ahead.

"No, but I bet they help"

The sound if horns grew loud and the white witch's army appears and they looked intimidating as before and Peter noted how uneasy they all looked.

***

"I have no interest in taking prisoners. Kill them all"

Jadis said with a vicious look on her face and Otmin roared as the army charged. The gryphons quickly flew up to the sky, each with a huge rock on their hands as their first line of defense.

Otmin looked up to see thousands of gryphons flying over them "Look to the sky!" He shouted but it was too late as the rocks hit each and every creature that came across its path.

Peter watched the first line of defense with a grim look on his face.

"Are you with me?" Peter turned to Oreius who gave him an affirmative nod "To the death" Peter quickly placed his helmet on and unsheathe his sword as he cried out.

"FOR NARNIA!, AND FOR ASLAN!!!"

Peter screamed and everyone let out a a battle cry as they charged. The leopards ran at the front with their teeth bared while the others lowered their spears.

Heart pounding, Peter breathed deeply and made a silent prayer to watch over his family should the worse come to pass.

The two sides covered each other and the world bathed in blood.