iv.

___________________

The next minute felt like it happened in a second

The trees around him were decorated with embers as the creature spat out a stream of vicious fire, the force of the creature's roar throwing him back into the grass. His hand instinctively travelled to his lightsaber, the red blade igniting with its unstable glow.

His heart pounded, his ears ringing from the horrifically loud roar from the creature. He pushed himself to his feet, his body weaving into a defensive stance, the lightsaber pointing to the creature.

"Put your weapon down!" Astraea's voice boomed, like she was speaking into a speakerphone. Kylo was still too startled, his grip tightening on the weapons.

His eyes drifted as Astraea walked around the creature, her hands caressing the colossal animal's neck, the spikes on its back slowly lowering. "Put the weapon down, or he will incinerate you." Astraea's tone was stern, a slight hint of anger lacing her words.

His eyes stayed wide as he turned off the weapon, slowly moving it back to its rightful place on its belt.

"Nymerion, take to the skies." Astraea's voice was soft as her hand ran down the creature's snout, it's deep amber eyes softening as it looked down at her. Kylo almost flinched as the creature pushed out its massive spiked wings, the animal lifting itself off the ground and appearing smaller and smaller as it disappeared into the sky.

He felt Astraea's eyes bore into him as he turned his head from the creature to her, her irritated expression strong in the firelight. "What do you think you're doing here?" Astraea snapped, pushing a strand of her hair behind her ear.

Kylo pushed out a breath, trying to mask the utter shock in his face. "I saw you leave the palace looking suspicious, so I followed you," Kylo replied, his heart still racing. "You had no right. Do you want my help? Disrespecting me like this will get you nowhere. You're wondering what that creature was?" Astraea answered, his mind feeling intruded again.

"If I must admit," Kylo replied, stalking out from between the glowing trees. He looked up at the trees, relief rushing through him that it wasn't him that was glowing. "He's a dragon. He and his siblings are the only ones left in the universe as far as I know." Astraea stepped towards the exit, Kylo trailing behind her.

"What were you doing here?"

"I don't have to answer to you. However, I have nothing to hide- so, I was saying goodbye." Astraea took long strides to the door, lifting her pale hand to the control panel and stepping out as the door slid open. He followed her small frame up the path, finding himself at a loss for words- the foreign feeling not one he felt often.

He continued to follow her towards the palace, the enormous golden storm doors now towering above him. Astraea pushed them open with ease, a large creak emitting from them as they moved aside. Astraea kept her pace as she continued up the glorious white marble staircase. Kylo kept following her, where she was leading him, he wasn't too sure. 

Astraea lifted her arm slightly as she approached another glass door, much like the one he had in his own room. She twisted the handle and pushed it open, holding the door for Kylo after letting herself through. She took slow steps towards the stone balcony, her pale hands resting on the brick. 

"What will my job entail in this war?" Astraea asked, genuine interest lacing her voice. Kylo took light steps to stand next to her, looking out onto the dark landscape. "You'll help us win this war by taking down the rebel army." Kylo replied simply, a slight nervousness rising in him. There was something about her he could put his finger on, it might have been her raw power radiating from her but it felt like something else. 

"Will I be away from home for long?" Astraea almost murmured, looking away. "I couldn't say. It could be a month, it could be a year. It all depends on you." Kylo answered, his head turning to look at her.

"Will you help us?" Kylo asked, meeting Astraea's eyes as she turned. 

"Yes."