Chapter 15

Joe's PoV
We'd decided that once Britain and Canada had won their trios (it was obvious they would), Dianne and I would start working on our 'seduce Katie' plan. It was fairly straightforward. I would just flirt with her and then say she should call me some time. Start off slow.

"I'm so glad we're all through," Briar grinned as we sat around a table in the coffee shop. Devon, Milo and Anna had all joined us too, coming off from their wins.

"Same," Katie smiled. "Small groups tomorrow then it's semi finals!"

"I reckon your small group is gonna be really good," I smiled at Katie, looking at her lovingly. As predicted, Katie looked at me very weirdly.

"Thanks," she smiled, though her response sounded more like a question.

"I'm gonna get another drink," I said. "Katie, why don't you join me."

Katie looked very suspicious at this point, but just nodded and stood up.

"Anyone want anything?" she asked. Anna asked for another coke and Dianne for another lemonade, but that was it.

"Is this about Dianne?" Katie asked me as we were walking.

"What do you mean?" I asked, genuinely confused.

"Are you trying to suck up to me so I can put in a good word for you to Dianne?" Katie asked.

I laughed. "God no. Dianne knows we're just friends, in fact she even suggested it first. Plus, I was never massively interested in her. You on the other hand..." I looked at her and smiled again. This time she looked mildly uncomfortable. It took everything I had not to laugh. "You have the most gorgeous eyes, you know that right?"

"Uhhh..." Katie said, unable to think of anything else.

"Look, this might seem sudden but honestly I liked Dianne for a bit, yes, but I got over her pretty quickly and now... I like you Katie," I said. It was a bit of a struggle to get the words out, but I think I said it convincingly. "I love how you go against Dianne's rules and are friends with the South African team despite everything, I love how you're friends with Neil and Zoe and Briar too. You're awesome." I stayed there smiling like an idiot.

"Two cokes, a fanta and a lemonade please," Katie said to the man at the til, unable to look at me.

"Katie?" I pushed.

"This is a lot of information to process and I can't be dealing with it right now," Katie said, grabbing two of the drinks as I paid and carried the other two.

"Katie, are you okay?" Dianne asked when we got back to our table. "You look pretty shaken..."

I grinned at Dianne, and she bit her lip to stop laughing.

"Yeah," Katie said. "Uh, Briar can I talk to you for a second?"

Briar looked confused, but nodded and they both walked outside.

Briar's PoV
"What's up?" I asked. Katie looked like she'd seen a ghost, honestly.

"Joe just told me he likes me as more than a friend," Katie looked at me desperately.

"WHAT?!" I yelled. Katie shoved her hand over my mouth and shushed me as she continued.

"Yes! I'm SO confused and I've never felt more awkward in my LIFE," she moaned. "Plus I was sure Dianne liked him!"

"They were 100% into each other at mine and Caspar's party," I shook my head. "He has to be lying somehow..."

"Both of them have said they're just friends though, and they give off a friendship vibe if you get me," Katie said.

I did. They definitely didn't have quite the same chemistry as they had done before. Maybe Joe actually did like Katie and not Dianne...

"Do we tell Dianne?" I asked.

"I have a feeling she already knows," Katie said, shaking her head.

"So they're just friends, how disappointing," I sighed.

"NOT THE MAIN PROBLEM RIGHT NOW, BRIAR!" Katie yelled at me. It was my turn to shush her.

"It doesn't make sense, he told Neil he liked Dianne," I said, confused.

"Well he said he liked Dianne for a bit but got over her pretty quickly and realised it was me he liked," Katie groaned.

"Well, I need a ship so now I'm shipping you and Joe," I grinned.

"WHAT?! BRIAR!" Katie's jaw dropped.

"Toodles!" I giggled and bounced back inside.

Neil's PoV
"Okay, Joe, we need to talk," I grabbed Joe's arm and took him to another table.

"Yo," Joe said sitting down. "What do you wanna talk about?"

"I wanna ask what the hell you did or said to Katie, because she didn't look like that when she left the table and now she looks like she's about to have an existential crisis," I looked at him seriously.

He bit his lip and sighed. "I told her I liked her... Like as more than a friend..."

Now, I'd imagined a few things Joe could've done. But telling Katie he liked her? That was most definitely not one of them.

"You WHAT?" I looked at him. "Are you absolutely mad?! You like Dianne!"

"No, I liked Dianne," he explained. "After I woke up this morning, I realised I didn't like Dianne. I'd kissed her, but I hadn't known who I was kissing and it didn't mean anything. And when I thought of kissing her it felt wrong. But then I saw Katie earlier and it was like it finally clicked, you know? Like I like her."

I was astounded. This could not be happening. Was he serious? I searched his face, but it didn't look like he was joking. Holy shit... Joe liked Katie?

Sorry for a shorter chapter, I've been busy today and haven't been able to write much! B x