Chapter 27

Dianne's PoV
We all headed out onto the stage, the winners about to be announced. I was praying to every single god that Australia would win. I wasn't religious, but in times like this I still prayed. We had nothing to lose.

"Fingers crossed," Katie took my hand as we stood with our team on the left side of the stage.

I nodded, squeezing her hand as I took Andrew's in the other. We all stood there in silence, the atmosphere buzzing. What would happen? Who would win? It was all I wanted, to bring the victory home for my team.

"Thank you dancers for your wonderful efforts," a voice rumbled through the speakers. "You've put on a show, but now it is time to announce the winner of the competition."

I held my breath, staring at the ground. Please.

Joe's PoV
"And the winner of the 24th Elite Dance Internationals is..."

I held my breath, gripping my teammates hands, praying we'd done enough to take home the title. We were the current reigning champions, and to lose our title would be devastating.

"Please..." I heard my sister whisper, her eyes closed. I squeezed her hand and she squeezed mine back.

"THE BRITISH DANCE COMPANY!"

All you could hear were screams. The audience erupted in cheers and applause, my whole team was screaming with joy, jumping up and down and hugging one another. It was the place I felt most at home. I glanced over to the Australian team, all of them clapping supportively, Dianne smiling. I felt bad for her, but it was ultimately a competition, so I couldn't feel too sorry.

"Congrats," Dianne approached me and shook my hand, as everyone in both teams did too.

"Thanks," I grinned.

"We'll beat you next year though," she smirked.

"Game on, Buswell," I smirked back.

Zoe and I lifted the trophy together as our team jumped up and down. It was the best feeling in the world. Nothing could ruin this day for me.

———

Dianne's PoV
I was sat in mine and Katie's hotel room, both of us laying on our beds flipping through tv channels. It sucked not winning, particularly in our own country. We'd worked so hard...

"There's always next year," Katie said for like the fourteenth time since we lost.

"I know," I repeated again.

Just then, there was a very excited rapping at our door.

"Probably one of our British friends," Katie sighed, getting up and answering it.

It wasn't that we were bitter, because we had a nice group of friends on the winning team. We just felt a bit lost. We had Regionals in December, but there wasn't really anything exciting at Regionals. Nationals was more fun, but that was March. And for Internationals, which was the best, it would be another whole year.

"Hey!" to our absolute surprise, it was Andrew who came into our room, not a UK team member.

"You know we lost right?" Katie looked at him sceptically as she sat back on her bed.

"Well yeah," Andrew shrugged. "But I just got the most amazing phone call!"

"What is it?" I asked, intrigued. He was ecstatic, so it had to be something pretty good considering we'd just lost Internationals.

"I got a phone call from the producers of a British television programme called Strictly Come Dancing, and they want me as one of their pros!" he grinned. "Two of their pros have been unable to make this year, so they've been scouting for new ones. One of the producers came here to watch the British Dance Company, because apparently they've performed on Strictly before, and they want me!"