Chapter 17

Joe's PoV
As promised, I met Dianne after her rehearsals. I was going to ask her to dinner, because we hadn't had a chance to actually go on a date with all this competition going on. But she came out to meet me and I'd never seen her look so exhausted.

"Hey," she said, and literally collapsed into my arms, burying her head in my neck.

"Hey," I said, wrapping my arms around her. "You good?"

"Just tired," the redhead yawned. "Been an exhausting day."

"Yeah," I said, stroking her back. "I kinda wish we just told people we're together and could go back to one of our rooms to chill and watch a movie."

"No," Dianne frowned. "I've never pulled a prank like this before, I don't wanna just give up."

I was about to protest, but then I noticed Katie, Zoe, Neil and Caspar chatting and walking together. I quickly pushed Dianne away, whispering to her to act like friends. She initially looked confused, but then saw the others and grinned.

"Wait, I'm gonna film this," she said, pressing record on her phone, holding it in portrait so it wouldn't look suspicious when we approached the others.

"Hey guys!" I said, running up to them, Dianne and her little legs following me.

"Hey you two," Zoe smiled.

"Hey Joe," Katie looked at me and batted her eyelashes. It would've been slightly unnerving, but I knew she was acting.

"Hey Katie," I smiled back. I just had to pretend she was Dianne.

"Umm, can I talk to you for a second?" Katie asked, pulling me aside. I nodded, knowing exactly where this was headed. I noticed Zoe, Dianne, Caspar and Neil poking their heads around the corner, Dianne's camera sticking out at the perfect angle.

"So what's up?" I smiled at her and took her hands.

"I was wondering if you wanted to go on a date with me?" Katie asked, twirling her hair on her finger.

"Really?" I asked, my eyes lighting up. "Yeah of course!"

At this, Katie looked stunned.

"What?" she dropped her hands, her cutesy voice gone.

"I said I'll go on a date with you," I said.

Katie's face was a mix of bewilderment, shock, fear, panic and confusion. It was sort of "shitshitshitshitshit undo undo UNDO" as a facial expression. So, I didn't exactly blame Dianne when she burst out laughing, ruining it all.

"Oh my god I'm sorry but Katie your face was PRICELESS," Dianne cackled. "We got you GOOD!"

"You KNEW?!" Katie, Zoe, Neil and Caspar all said at the same time, astounded.

"Yes, we knew you knew," I laughed.

"Oh my god," Katie started laughing too.

"Ugh, let's put this prank to bed now though, I can't deal with any more we know they know shit, my brain hurts too much for that," Caspar groaned.

"Same here mate," Neil laughed.

"Well, if everyone knows everything then..." Zoe grinned, "YOU TWO ARE FINALLY DATING!"

I laughed and pulled Dianne in close next to me as my sister expressed her joy at us dating.

"I ship it so so much," Neil grinned. "I'm gonna create so many rumours about you two."

"Neil!" Dianne smacked his arm.

"Ow!" he said, but everyone was laughing.

"I'm actually gonna hit the hay now guys," Caspar said. "Tomorrow is small groups, and this is the farthest South Africa usually gets, so I need to be so focused. We have to get a spot in the semi finals."