Detours and Shortcuts

Anazra awoke to the sound of Blue and May talking. She noticed that the two seemed closer and more comfortable around each other.

"And that's why I have to eat." He finished his explanation. May gave a sound of understanding and interest.

"Alright, so do you think I'll have to eat anything?" Blue seemed to think about it.

"Well, have you seemed hungry so far? Or like you need to have anything?" May put a hand to her stomach and felt it. It was as if the topic itself had made her hungry.

"Well I guess I kind of am now. But we've been traveling for, what, two days now? Why am I just now hungry?"

"Well that's normal. Some us have to eat every day and then some of us only have to eat once a year. And then some not even that." He looked over to Anazra when he said this and saw that she was awake now. "Morning Az, sleep well?" She propped herself up on her arm and rubbed her eyes.

"Something like that. Found it hard to stay asleep." She answered truthfully. She had been having nightmares, about what she couldn't remember. Just that they horrified her. May looked at her with concern.

"I'm sorry. Do you remember about what?" She just shook her head.  "Well, we're talking about having to eat." She smiled like a little kid. "So do you want some breakfast?" Anazra just smiled.

"No, sorry I don't eat. Don't have to, I don't even really have to sleep. I just do it to keep up my strength." May gave an innocent frown.

"Well do you need anything at all?" She seemed to consider a moment.

"No." Blue looked at her and frowned. "Anyway, we should get going. The two of you can eat as we move." She rose and stretched. "Let's go." May frowned a little as Anazra started to walk off. Blue looked over at May.

"It's alright, she's always grumpy in the morning. Whatcha got in that bag of yours?" He asked but May was already rummaging through the bag of holding. It at first suprized her, the inside was enormous. It held weeks of food, extra clothes, and it looked like a handwritten note or two. May produced what seemed to be a slice of bread wrapped in a large green leaf.

"Is this what I think it is?" She said as she rose and tossed him one. Blue cought it (barely) and smiled when he looked at it.

"Lembas bread. That nerd, of course he would give us this." He said as he broke a peice of and began to eat it. The taste of it was sweet, almost like a peice of cake.
May smiled as she watched Blue than began to eat her own.

"That's fantastic." She said with a smile, in response to his nerd comment. Blue cocked his head to the side and staired at her for a moment. May began to feel uncomfortable. "What?" Blue just jumped to his feet and smiled.

"Nothing I'm sure. It's just none of us ever say that's fantastic. Must be something new." She seemed to consider a moment and began to say something but they heard Anazra call out from over a hill. She only said hey, so they were in no real rush, but still hurried.

They made their way up the grassy hill, that was mostly the terrain now. It was rolling hills of a dark, tall grass and a few trees still grew this far out but they were nowhere near as thick as the ones of Anazra's forest. These had green leafs as well.

As they edged closer to top of the hill, Blue was expecting to to the bridge that led across "the river" that boarded the inner circle of the heart, closing it off to the rest. Those on one side of the bridge, tended to stay on that side unless they had business with the "inner heart" as it was called. Instead, he saw no bridge. Just the dark waters that had either covered it or swept it away. He jaw dropped.