Chapter ten

Trenton|2010

It has been a week since Richard left to go to Cedarmills. Of course Sharon was upset about the whole thing, but there was nothing left that she could do besides wait for him to come back. She promised herself that she would never step foot in that town again and she was determined she was going to keep her word. To take her mind off of her husband, she began to go through her closet and throw away things that have been collecting dust and that haven't been touched for years. When she moved to Trenton, she started out fresh and bought everything new, but the only thing that she brought with her from Cedarmills was her photo album and Polaroid camera. Everything else she left behind and didn't bother to kiss it goodbye.

On the top shelf was an old cardboard box with barely a blemish. Sharon stands on her tippy toes and grabs the box so she could rummage through it. She knew what was inside, but it has been forever since she took a peak. She folds back the flaps, finding her Polaroid camera sitting on top of a photo album and picture frames. Her shaky hands held the camera as she looks through the lenses for the first time in ages.

"Smile Gregory."
"Cheese."

The sound of their voices run through her mind as she stares at a photo of Gregory smiling with his front tooth missing. She remembers crying that day because she wasn't going to be able to put money under Gregory's pillow. He was so excited for the tooth fairy to visit him.

"Mom, I did it! I can ride my bike without falling!"
"I'm so proud of you. Go stand in front of your bike so I can get a picture."

A photo of Gregory standing next to his bicycle was next to the previous photo. Sharon smiles at the moment and remembers Gregory's excitement when he came up to her that day. For a long time, Gregory didn't own a bicycle simply because they couldn't afford to buy one.

Thomas kindly gave him his bicycle since he owned another one and then they
could ride together when he came over to visit.

"Gregory, smile for me."

Sharon holds back her tears from escaping as she looks down at the last photo she took of Gregory. He was standing straight with his backpack on his shoulders with a big smile on his lips waiting for the bus to arrive. It never dawned on her that this photo would be the last one she took of him. She had many more birthdays and holidays to capture and many more memories to make.

With her eyes blurring with tears, she flips through the pages of the photo album until it reaches the end. She then closes it and holds it to her chest and begins to weep, wishing Richard was there to hold her. She sobs into her hands silently as her sobs struggle to escape. She felt like she was reliving that horrible day and the pain hit her all at once.

Even though the death of her son happened years ago, she never stopped grieving, even when she won the lottery. It might have numbed the pain for a second, but the only thing she truly wanted above everything including the money was Gregory. She felt like it was her fault that he was gone. If she would have never given him the money to go to the store that day then he would be alive. Maybe that is true, but regardless if he came home, Fin had plans on putting him in the coffin rather if it was that day or the next.

**
Cedarmills|1964

"There is no way I'm getting inside of that thing." Seth says looking down at the coffin that sat at his feet in the dead grass of the cemetery.

"Why not? I did it and I turned out fine." Fin replies with his arms furled along his chest.

"Why though? What's the point?" Travis asks raising a brow at this obscure gesture.

"It's a game and I just want to see if you can beat my time limit is all." Fin shrugs nonchalantly.

"I wouldn't last a second with that smell. Do you not smell that?" Seth says pinching his nose.

"You're such babies, it's not that bad." Fin rolls his eyes and lights the cigarette that was lodged in between his lips.

"What made you get inside of the coffin to begin with? Did you just decide to get in it for the heck of it?" Travis asks while taking the cigarette from Fin's finger tips.

"I was dared to and you both know I'm no pussy." Fin replies while rubbing his tired eyes with dark circles underneath.

"We know who is though, that kid Eddie is hanging out with now." Seth replies with a smirk. "I don't know why he is hanging out with him, that kid is a dweeb."

"He looks like he is nine years old, with him being that size, I can easily take his lunch money. I'd be set for the rest of the year." Fin says, dribbling a rock in between his feet.

"You have plenty of lunch money. Why take his? You see where he lives don't you? From what I gather, he's dirt poor so good luck with that." Travis utters.

Fin grabs Travis's hand and places his fist into it as if he were handing him something. "Here's your nose back since you can't seem to keep it out of my business."

Seth cackles at Fin's words. Travis rolls his eyes to the side and ignored Fin's snarky comment towards him.

"Let's get out of here. We need to leave before Mr. Carl catches us." Fin says leading the way out of the cemetery.

Fin looks over his shoulder at the coffin in relief. He knew exactly who was going to be the next one to play the game.

He will finally be free.