Chapter 4: "Sacrifice"

"I don't wanna succeed,

By doing things I don't wanna do."

------------------------------

'It'll be an easy job, you'll see.' 

'You don't even have to go to her, she's the one that'll come finding you.' 

'Take her in. Captivate her. Charm her.'

'She's an easy target. Here's the file with her background.'

'She'll definately fall for it. She's only fifteen.'

--------------------------------

Taehyung pulled his tie loser, feeling very oxygen-deprived. He glanced down at his watch and gulped. 'Only five minutes left.'

He was nervous, for sure. But what he was feeling was more than just nervousness. It was guilt.

Even if he never met that little girl, he already felt the enormous pressure. His head was spinning because of all the contradicting thoughts. Voices inside his head were threatening and yet encouraging him. He didn't know what was right or wrong anymore, he just wanted to shut his mind close and die.

Yes, die.

Dying would be so much easier and would cause him way less pain.

Among all the bells ringing in his ears, another one went off. It was the vibration of his cellphone against the wooden table that made him realise that the ringtone was not one of those in his head. He grabbed his phone, carefully reading the name of her boss that flashed on its screen. He slid his thumb across the display, accepting the call.

"Hey, how's it going?" The red-head's voice sounded much more deep through the phone. Taehyung passed his hand on his face and up in his hair, breathing out to calm himself after the little panic attack he nearly had.

"She's not here yet." He tried his best to reply with a neutral voice but a little wavering of his vocal cords betrayed him at the end. Paper sounds and Soojin's chuckle followed his response.

"You seem stressed."

Taehyung gulped, closing his eyes shut. He hated himself for being too vulnerable against this woman. "N-no-"

"Shhh, Taehyung." She whispered in the microphone, her voice very clear and sharp. "Y/n's in the car, outside the building."

Taehyung's eyes widened. He hastily got up from his seat and went to look through the window. His brows clashed together seeing the very familiar land-rover parked right in front of the entry. His silence was answered by Soojin's laugh.

"Well, it's good to check if I'm not lying." The man internally cursed himself. This was not going to help him earn her trust. "Anyways, once this appointment is done, Y/n'll drive you back to your village."

Taehyung's heart shattered. He had waited to see his family for nearly a whole year but he never thought his wishes would bring hell to another person's life. His eyes brimmed with water and he bit his lip.

He couldn't do this.

He was willing to sacrifice himself for the one thing he cherished the most but never in hell could he ruin someone else's life for his own selfish needs.

And just as if she had read his thoughts, Soojin added the little detail that made the rivers flow. "And if you don't follow the script, she'll go see your family all by herself... And her gun."

A knock sounded, letting him know of a presence behind the white door. He wiped his face clean, arranging his hair. "She's here. Bye." He hung up.

With his heart down in the pit of his stomach, he walked over to the door. Slowly, one step at a time, wishing that the distance would never close.