Chapter 9: "Hope"

'The world is just another name for despair

My height is just another diameter for the earth.'

_____________________________________

He'd been crying all night, all day.

His hand clenched the fabric of his shirt tightly, nearly ripping it off. He felt awful, claustrophobic, at loss for breath. But even then he didn't stop crying.

He'd rather feel empty than guilty.

It was eating him up, each part of his body, his heart. Little by little, he felt his soul being engulfed in darkness. A deep hole, where he couldn't see, couldn't move, couldn't speak.

He could only hear, the little girl's screams.

Screams of agony, screams of desperation, screams of pain, silence of hopelessness.

He shut his eyes tightly, more and more wrinkles forced to line up around them. Taehyung couldn't take it anymore but he still forced himself to remember, that scene, those screams, her. How could he forget? Worse,

How did he dare to even want to forget?

Not when Sherley was still locked in that room, suffering from the hell he put her through.

Never.

Taehyung had to never forget.

____________________________________

"I'm so excited, Y/n. Everything's finally in place." The redhead beamed, slumping back in her comfortable sofa. Her finger twirled a thick strand of her soft strings while she swayed her head left and right.

"Congratulations, Soojin." A tight smile decorated the full lips of her right hand woman, who stood in front of her boss' desk, hands firmly resting on her lower back.

"It took long enough, but the factory will be worth it." Y/n watched the woman who literally had stars in her eyes, a big wide smile of victory and success, that made her stomach churn. "Rais was the only one I was worried about, you know, because of the drama Taehyung created."

Placing her hand on the armrests, she pushed her body out of the sofa and made her way over to Y/n. The girl's cat-like eyes followed every one of her movements, her shoulders tensing the moment Soojin grabbed her arms.

"But thanks to you, he agreed." Y/n responded with a nod of her head, breaking the eye-contact. "That's why, I want you to be in charge of the opening ceremony."

She looked up, meeting the other's gaze but without saying anything. Soojin giggled. "I know, you must be surprised. But consider it a gift from me. I'm letting you organize the whole event, so do what you want. Surprise me."

Something deep down in Y/n's core titillated, a little flame liting up in the corner of her mind. That is when colours slowly came back to her pale face, the two round orbs starting to sparkle once again.

"Soojin... Really? This is something big!"

Soojin nodded, letting go of the girl and leaning back to slightly sit on her desk. "I think you deserve it. I owe you this."

And for the first time in a long, long time, Y/n smiled genuinely. She had been waiting for an occasion like this since forever. Heck, this was the opportunity she was looking for. A strange, but hopeful excitement tingled the core of Y/n's chest as the girl instantly bowed to her boss.

"Thank you, Soojin. I won't disappoint you."

__________________________________________

"Great!" The man gasped out, catching his breath. "You were great, sweetheart." He leaned down to kiss her again, nearly crushing her under his weight.