Sympathy

"Jiang Cheng!" Wei Wuxian exclaimed as he rose from his seat. His face is serious as he looked at Jiang Cheng.

Jiang Cheng turned to him. "What?" he said.

Wei Wuxian opened his mouth to speak, but no voice came out. It was a few minutes before he spoke again. "... do you really mean it?" he asked and looked at Jiang Cheng in the eye.

Jiang Cheng's expression changed. "... does he mean it?" he asked back, then turned to Lan Xichen.

Wei Wuxian's eyes went wide and he and Lan Wangji turned to Lan Xichen. Of course, they know that Lan Xichen doesn't – "Yes." Lan Xichen answered, his eyes still fixed on Jiang Cheng's.

The two held their breath as they watched their brothers do a staring contest. It was broken by a single word, coming from Jiang Cheng, which explained the unsettling feeling the four of them felt in their current situation. "Sympathy." Jiang Cheng said.

Finally, Lan Xichen blinked. "What?" he said. Even Wei Wuxian and Lan Wangji was confused. However, they somewhat understood.

Jiang Cheng raised his chin as he looked at the man before him. His appearance right now is filled with grace, however his words are filled with harshness. "Isn't that the reason why you said those words just now?" he asked.

Lan Xichen felt his brain came to a stop. He opened his mouth to speak. "I – " he said.

Jiang Cheng cut him off as he waved his hand. "Don't worry." He said, his face filled with frost. "That's also the reason why I said those words back at you." He said and turned to face the mirror. He gathered his hair and raised it, his other hand took a purple ribbon. "No need for compensation." He said as he tied his hair in a bun. "After all, we are now – " he said and turned to Lan Xichen. The air of sect leader is around him. " – lovers.... right, sect leader Lan?" he asked as he stared at Lan Xichen's eyes.

Lan Xichen stared at Jiang Cheng's face for a long time. "Yes." He answered.

Wei Wuxian and Lan Wangji's face went serious. Wei Wuxian balled his fists, then he marched out of the room. Lan Wangji muttered and excuse before following his wife Wei Wuxian. Jiang Cheng's face became colder as he turned to the mirror again. He undid his hair and it fell like a waterfall of ink on his back. He closed his eyes tight as he took a deep breath. Wei Wuxian... he thought as he opened his eyes. I am sorry. He saw Lan Xichen is approaching him from behind. "What is it, sect leader Lan - ?" he said and turned.

Lan Xichen stopped right behind him. He caught Jiang Cheng's chin with his fingers, then he raised his face to meet his eyes. "It's 'Lan Huan' – " he said as he leaned down to him. " – Wanyin." He told him before he claimed his lips.

Jiang Cheng's eyes went wide and he felt his heart beat wildly against his chest. He looked at Lan Xichen and saw him looking at him, his lips moving against his.