Chapter 17

You walked arm-in-arm with Loki back to the car, occasionally glancing at the ring on your finger, not quite believing it was there after all of these years. When you were young, you'd expected it to happen eventually, but after you were exiled, you gave up hope of ever seeing Loki again.

"Unfortunately, we must stop by the living room before we can go upstairs," Loki told you when he parked the car back in the garage at the tower. "The team insisted on seeing for themselves that you were returned home safely," he added grumpily as he came around the car to your car door. You laughed as you took his hand and let him help you from the car.

"Don't be offended, love. They just want to make sure we're home safely," you told him warmly, laying your hand on his arm to walk with him to the elevator.

"They wished to make sure you were home," he corrected.

You shrugged. "Midgardians are weird." He finally relaxed and inclined his head about that one. "Surely Thor wants to make sure we're both home," you suggested. You knew Thor worried about Loki, even in your care. He didn't answer that, so you knew you were right.

"How was your evening?" Thor asked pleasantly when you stepped off the elevator.

"Might as well show the oaf, Kyrie-love," Loki told you warmly. Damn Trickster had told his brother what he was up to tonight.

"You are an incorrigible showoff," you told him, but softened your words by kissing his cheek. He smirked in reply, and didn't deny it. You stepped over to Thor and held out your left hand so he could see the ring.

"Congratulations, Lady Valkyrie!" Thor boomed. "Finally figured out why you had that ring in your trinket box for 900 years, huh, Brother?" Thor teased.

"He bothered you about it?" you asked, surprised.

"I caught him pondering the ring one day and teased him about his mystery lady," Thor replied.

"Wait!? You're engaged?" Nat demanded, jumping to her feet and leaping over Clint to come see the ring. The rest of the team came around too and carefully oohed over the shiny, careful not to touch your skin. "You have an excellent eye for jewelry, Loki," Nat complimented his choice. He looked surprised for a moment to be addressed directly, but he inclined his head, accepting the compliment for what it was.

"Loki acquired that ring over 900 years ago, before Kyrie was sent to Midgard," Thor explained to the others. You stepped back and went back from the crowd of the others and went back to Loki. He wrapped and arm around you and kissed your temple, reassuring. The others wouldn't touch you. They knew better.

There were toasts and more congratulations before you were finally able to escape upstairs with Loki. His arm was around you as you walked down the hall to your rooms. You saw his hesitation, he wanted to invite you to stay with him, at least for awhile, to enjoy the rest of your evening, but he obviously didn't want to push either. You summoned a bottle of the Asgardian mead and two wine glasses. "Nightcap?" you asked a little shyly, not entirely sure of your welcome.

He took a step toward his room automatically. His rooms had always been the shared space over the years. "That sounds like an excellent idea, darling," he told you warmly and opened his bedroom door for you. You stepped past him, scanning the room automatically for threats as you stepped through his shields over the threshold. You kicked off your heels next to the door and settled on his bed, pouring mead into the wine glasses. You watched as he stripped off his suit jacket, loosened his tie, and carefully rolled up his shirt sleeves. You floated one of the wine glasses over to him.

You sat on his bed, chatting for a few glasses of mead. "Mind if I find something more comfortable to wear?" you asked, not feeling like using magic to change right now.