Chapter 33

"Victory or Valhalla," he replied, horrified. He knew the grand trial was bad, but he hadn't expected it to be that bad.

You nodded. "Every Trainee must take the grand trial," you reminded him and his expression dropped.

"Those ill-fitted, they're killed by the ghasts," Loki said softly.

You nodded again. "Not just those ill-fitted. Accidents always happen. The grand trial is brutal, which is why it determines our future," you stopped there, not needing to disturb him again with things that might've been. He didn't need to be scared for events that had taken place over 900 years ago. "We should leave her to her trial," you told him, gesturing to the girl at the altar. "Dinner should be served soon," you added. The Valkyrie overseeing the girl's trial nodded her agreement.

You began to lead Loki from the hall of trials. "That Valkyrie is overseeing her trial, right? Surely she can help her if there's danger?" he asked optimistically.

You shook your head. "No, the trial is alone. Completely alone. She's only standing guard to make sure no one disturbs the trial. Even if a trial goer meets a Valkyrie in the land of the dead during her trial, they won't speak to her or acknowledge her presence in any way. There are ways around it, of course. They won't acknowledge the girl, but they will pay attention to anything she shows or tells them. There's an... amulet... that all the trial goers carry which counts the number of ghasts the girl has killed as well as the number of days she has back. She shows it to any Valkyrie she meets so they can report on her progress to those worrying over her," you explained as you led Loki to dinner.

You smirked when you saw all the trainees fawning over your husband. You took your place among the Valkyrie, sitting by rank with Loki taking the seat to your left. "I know I'm attractive, but..." Loki started, staring at the young girls who couldn't take their eyes off of him.

You laughed. "I've told you before, Lohk. Almost every Valkyrie in training is trained here, not at the palace like I was. Most of them don't leave the city until after the trials. With how few men ever appear here, they likely haven't even seen a man in real life before," you teased him. He looked indignantly at you and nearly spluttered at being oogled at just because he was male and not because he was their prince. You laughed at his indignation. "You really hate Valkyria," you teased.

"I really, really do," he grumbled. "They tortured you here and the underage girls are staring at me, a married man, like a piece of meat," he whined the last part.

You laughed at him and kissed his cheek. "Poor princeling," you teased him. Dinner was served. It wasn't fancy, though your meals were nicer than the trainees. The braver of the trainees came up to him to practice their courtesies. You tried so hard not to laugh as he tried to be polite to them, but you could see it grating further and further on his temper. You finally told the trainees to leave Loki alone and reminded them that they had studies to attend to. They pouted, but couldn't argue with you since you outranked them and rushed back to their duties and studies.

"I could have done that," Loki grumbled.

You just smirked at him. "Anywhere but in Valkyria you could have," you agreed. "Inside these walls you have no power. The Valkyrie are free here, even from the oaths to the throne, even from following your Father's orders,"

Loki gave you a look. "Why didn't you come back here when Father exiled you?" he asked. "You could have hidden here in the city from his orders,"

You shook your head. "Remember, love. Remember that day. Odin didn't give me a chance to make it here. He practically dragged me from that alcove straight to the Bifrost and I was forbidden to return to Asgard. None of the secret portals between worlds come out in Valkyria. Believe me, I looked," you reminded him. You had searched and searched for a way back to Valkyria where your orders didn't matter, where you could find Loki again and tell him what happened, but you'd never been able to find a way here.