Chapter 55

You had to watch helplessly as your husband, your charge, your Loki drank from the magic waters of Yggdrasil's pools. Then had to watch as he submerged himself in one of the pools as magic glowed from both his, and the one Thor submerged himself in.

You couldn't do anything but wait impatiently for the trial to be over. Patience wasn't your strong suit and this was practically torture. Your charge was facing a trial that you couldn't help with, couldn't even know what was happening. He was so close. You could see where he went and nearly see him submerged under the water. But you couldn't help him, couldn't protect him.

All you could do was wait and worry.

And question how the fuck he was breathing.

That was an irrelevant worry. Of course he was breathing. This was a magical trial after all. Of course the Norns wouldn't actually kill him in the trial.

You wanted to pace out your nervous energy, but you couldn't do that either, not in front of Loki's parents. Had it just been Frigga with you, you could show the vulnerability of your emotions. You couldn't, wouldn't, show that weakness in front of Odin. You refused to let him see you vulnerable again. Not after he'd banished you all of those years ago.

He had lost your trust then and it would be centuries, if ever, before he had a chance of earning it back.

So you stood still and didn't let your emotions show. It was a skill you had learned in your Valkyrie training and perfected during the trials. You couldn't have survived if the wraths had sensed your fear.

It was necessary then and it was necessary now.

You'd faced the trials and passed.

The least you could do was bear witness to Loki's trial.

You saw Frigga picking at her hands, though she tried not to let it show. She was nervous too about the fate of her sons. And was equally helpless.

Odin was the only one who seemed calm. You could see in his eye that he expected Thor to succeed in the trial. He expected Thor to be his heir. He probably thought Thor a shoe-in because of Loki's heritage.

You knew that Loki's heritage didn't matter.

He had been legally adopted and by the Norns' own laws was equally capable of taking the throne. It was up to them now as to who was the better fit for the throne, who would be the next Allfather.

You lost track of how much time passed. It seemed like it lasted forever, years, centuries of standing and waiting. And at the same time seemed to take no time at all.

Finally the magic flashed on the pools and Loki and Thor stepped out. Both of them looked worse for the wear, looked like they had been through Hel. They staggered out of the pools and onto the dry ground where they'd separated.

Frigga was the first of you to break formality. She rushed over to her sons to find out the results of the trials. You were right on her heels, heading for your Loki. He was alive and breathing. That was a good sign, but he looked so wan and drained. Like he'd been turned inside out and examined before hastily put back together.

You wanted to know what had happened in the trial to make him like that.

You never ever wanted to find out what the Norns had done to your Loki.

It was a war between yourself. And one that you could only answer by wrapping your arms around Loki's waist and supporting him. Frigga stood between both of her sons. She would never give the outward appearance of having a favorite, though you all knew that Loki was hers, just as Thor was Odin's. Loki had taken to her gift of magic where Thor had taken to Odin's brute strength and warrior skills.

"Darlings?" Frigga asked them as Odin came over to hear about the trial. To hear who had won. You saw Odin look to Thor expectantly.

Thor hesitated. He didn't want to say. You could see him shift uncomfortably. Loki didn't want to say either. You saw it in his eyes. Neither of them wanted to say what they had been through.

"Well?" Odin prompted when they hesitated. You wanted to stab him for his lack of tact. His sons had just been through a difficult trial. They deserved a break to rest.

He wasn't going to give them any sort of reprieve.

Loki moved and you saw him preparing words for his silvertongue. His hand shifted as he went to raise it and you saw the new silver ring on his right hand. The design on the top was the interlocking symbol of the Norns.

Odin and Frigga caught it at the same time as Thor looked away, not wanting to meet his father's eyes.

Loki looked up at Odin with pride and defiance in his eyes. Odin wasn't going to like this announcement, but Odin had left the decision up to the Norns, and they had chosen. Odin had to abide by their decision now.

All nine realms had to abide their decision.

Loki tried to speak, failed, and cleared his throat before he tried again. He finally stood tall, finally was able to speak to his adopted father without being smothered in Thor's shadow.

And this time he would have to be listened to.

Loki's words were simple, blunt, and to the point:

"The Norns have chosen me as the next Allfather,"