Chapter 49

You spent the rest of evening dancing and socializing with Loki. You made sure he talked to people besides you. He tended to be antisocial and stabby when you weren't around. Especially if any of the noble-ladies approached him. Even though you were married now, he still didn't trust the ladies to leave him alone.

And a charge of infidelity, even if it weren't founded, was more than enough to ruin his life.

Loki wouldn't risk that. So unless he knew the lady well, he wouldn't risk speaking to them where the conversation might be misconstrued. And he wouldn't dance with anyone besides you and Frigga. Yes, it was perfectly common for the princes to dance with their mother. Though Thor tended to look grumpy about being asked, he would always relent to Frigga's wishes.

Though when Loki was in a snit, he tended to ask Thor to dance when he wanted to annoy his brother. If he was really in a mood he wouldn't even turn female before demanding Thor dance with him. It was amusing to watch. Though there was no taboo against men dancing with men on Asgard, Thor's put upon expression made it worth it.

Because Loki was a snarky little shit, he decided to have fun annoying his brother that night. So you got to enjoy watching the pair dance together. They were both amazing after centuries of experience. You weren't alone in your enjoyment of the view, as the entire court stopped to watch them dance.

After the final dance, you and Loki made your way back to your suite. You took a seat on your favorite couch after you shifted clothes to comfortable black leggings and a green tunic, both of which were soft enough to sleep in. "Loki, we need to talk," you told him as you gestured next to you for him to join you.

Loki sat, looking apprehensive. It was definitely understandable. You almost never called him by his real name and only did when it was important. This was important. "Darling, no matter the realm, starting off a conversation with those words never leads to a pleasant conversation," he said with a dry tone that was supposed to ease the tension and the mood.

It didn't.

"What is it?" Loki asked you gently when you paused again.

You sighed, picking at your palm as you got up the words to tell him, knowing that he wouldn't believe you. "My conversation with my mother wasn't just catching up," you started.

He scoffed rolled his eyes. "Obviously, darling. You would never leave my side at a feast if it weren't important," he reminded you. His tone was still dry. Poor thing was trying so hard to keep the mood light.

You nodded. "She reminded me of a couple things that I should have realized, as well as gave me a warning. The warning was for you," you explained. You had to speak carefully to make him understand, but needed to give him the warning as well.

Loki's eyes widened. "For me? What kind of warning could your mother have for me?" he asked incredulously.

You sighed again, still picking at your palm. It was a bad habit you'd gotten from Loki and Frigga over the years. "A couple. Firstly, your marriage to me has strengthened your claim to the throne," you held up a hand to keep him from arguing. "You know damn well the throne goes to the child who is the best suited, who is what the realms need. And you know that oaf of a brother of yours really is a hammer-brained idiot who isn't fit to rule. Marrying me has only solidified your claim. You have a Valkyrie at your side. And you're married. You're more likely to produce an heir than Thor is. And you have the alliance of the Valkyrie, which is not an easy feat. Thor doesn't. He hasn't even convinced one to serve him," you gave Loki a moment to take this all in. He nodded, reluctantly accepting your words as true. You wouldn't lie to him and made valid points. "Secondly, after we defeat the man I had to bring back from the dead, we're going to be summoned home so you and Thor can be tested to determine once and for all which of you will be king,"

Loki's mouth fell open in shock. "That- no- there's no way-" he started, his silver tongue turning to lead before he finally said. "What kind of test?"

You shrugged. "Mother couldn't tell me, but she said we'd be able to prepare you for it with warning that it was coming," you explained.

You saw the glimmer of hope in his eyes. Unbridled childlike hope that he would finally be seen as worthy in his father's eyes. He'd come so far.

You hoped against hope that the upcoming test wouldn't crush him.

He wouldn't be able to handle falling so low again.

And you wouldn't be able to handle his loss if he couldn't handle it.

So you prayed to any god who would listen that he would pass this test. For his sake, not the throne.