The Day We Became Friends

Day Twenty-three was the day, Hannah and I became friends. Twenty-three was Hannah's favorite number.

It was a Monday afternoon when Val called me. "You wanna come over? We're watching a horror movie."

I didn't know who "we" were but Val had friends over all the time – mostly friends I didn't know. I was surprised to find only three people there: Val, Hannah and Will, a friend of theirs.

"You made it! Come, sit down," he patted the seat next to him, between him and Hannah. She smiled at me, that wonderful smile. We watched The Monster Squad and I thanked Val silently for choosing a horror-comedy. She laughed a lot and leaned on me when the film was getting suspenseful. Whenever I could I looked at her. After the film, we ate Froot Loops and opened a bottle of wine. I didn't drink that evening, but the other's happy laughs were contagious. I hadn't felt that good in a long time.

I have three great friends, one of them Val, who spends more time with me than with anyone else even though anyone else is so much better company. The other two, Chloe and Libby, have been my best friends since kindergarten. I love them dearly. The thing is: they are best friends first to each other, then to me. I think the reason I like spending time with Val is that he is a lone wolf, too. He has so many friends and acquaintances, but he never referred to anyone as his best friend. Not until Day Twenty-three.

"What would you tell people about me that don't know me?" Val asked.

"I would tell them that you laugh a lot and that you are friends with like everyone and throw great parties."

He laughed. "You hate my parties."

"Yes, I do, but everyone else seems to enjoy them."

He smiled at me. "You're so altruistic. Why do I even keep throwing them if my best friend doesn't enjoy them?"

I didn't know an answer to that question, but I caught myself smiling for the rest of the evening. My smile brought Hannah to smile and I got more and more attracted to her. She was a touchy person, but it didn't bother me. It was hard to concentrate though, and by midnight I felt like I was drunk – or I felt like I always imagined being drunk. I was dizzy, everything around me was suddenly full of colors and everything was very, very funny.