Chapter 12: Magic's Might

Everyone was nervous about the battle royal but for the trio of wizards bound to the castle they had something a bit more important to worry about over then a mock battle. They had a soul restoration ritual to perform instead. Fred and George had immediately sought Harry, Severus, and Voldemort out after the founder's announcement with questions on what had happened to cause all of this. Instead of answers they found themselves drafted into helping set up the ritual. Each element and direction had to be perfectly represented and balanced with a safe containment zone for Harry and Severus to sit in while the ritual progressed. Once they found out that Harry was going to be better protected by performing this ritual the twins threw the best efforts in with a will.

"So the paste goes in a circle around Harrykins and the Professor but we have to chalk the rune matrix accurately into place in under an hour," Fred reviewed, studying the diagram that had been sketched out by Voldemort.

"Then we have to pour the potion all over you when you start the chant," George said with a thoughtful hum. He mentally ran through his own calculations of how long the needed potion would still be good after brewing.

"Incorrect, I will pour it over myself. Nagini will stay in Harry's lap to avoid potential problems," Voldemort said in a subdued tone. He wasn't exactly happy about having to perform this ritual but he wasn't going to argue, he would loose... again.

"And Harrykins needs to be painted with the paste but not the Professor or snakey," Fred reminded his brother.

"Why? I mean I get what this rune structure is doing but I really don't see the need for the runes all over Harry," George said with a frown as he snatched the outline from his brother.

"Its partly because I saved Ginny from the Chamber and the Basilisk. To do it I had to kill Voldemort's diary and the magic hidden inside it behind the stuff that was killing Ginny moved to me since I have some of his magic in my scar," Harry patiently explained again. They had settled on an overly simplified explanation to tell the twins, partly to avoid having Dumbledore snatching the information from their minds.

"And this... boom shackalacka chant?" Fred asked doubtfully, sincerity practically leaking from his pores.

"What?! Let me see that!" Voldemort snatched the outline back with a scowl only for the twins to burst out laughing.

"Menaces unless you want to be banned from the Battle Royal or risk getting crucioed I suggest you not push your luck," Severus pointed out darkly, immediately shutting the twins up.

Everyone quickly got to work setting up the ritual under the watchful eye of the amused founders. Once it was set the twins were sent away to spy on the "enemy" while the ritual was performed. The twins had promised to team up with them and help them as much as possible in the coming battle.

"I've instructed the elves to form a reinforced ward line in the surrounding rooms, creating a shield around you while the ritual is performed. There should be no extra magical leakage. This will also keep anyone from interfering once the ritual has begun. It would be extremely dangerous if it were interrupted," Rowena explained once the twins had dashed off with absolute glee over their spying assignments. "I also thank you for choosing to use the extra runes on Harry for his safety."

The other founders murmured their agreement to that sentiment as everyone settled into position, almost immediately beginning the ritual. Harry made a face as Voldemort poured the potions over his head but didn't do anything to interrupt the ritual, contentedly leaning against Severus as he felt the runes on his skin activate. The moment he was done with the chant, which had turned pained a few seconds after the potion went over his head, Voldemort collapsed to the floor. The open space in the runework around him allowed him to remain safe as his muscles spasmed and his features permanently returned to an older version of his diary. As the transformation finished and the magic drained away the Dark Lord started cursing in parseltongue, much to Salazar's exasperation and Harry's interest.