Chapter 15: Quelling Rumors

The first thing the Founders did upon returning to the school was summon everyone to the great hall. The two former Aurors quickly found their children and joined them at their house table as everyone settled in for whatever announcement was about to be given.

"We've had to officially break with the British Ministry of Magic and declare a blood feud against both Ministry and Umbridge. As such you will not be released to go home for the holiday breaks but your families may come here. Hogwarts will test them for everyone's safety before allowing them entry. We will not have you put at risk simply because we were lax in checking anyone entering our lands," Rowena informed the school with a mixture of determination and regret for the extreme measures needing to be taken.

"Sanctuary will be offered to any of your families who decide not to risk facing the insane ministry. Anyone who wishes to contact Gringotts, their families through Gringotts, or do shopping will be accommodated by supervised trips outside the wards. This will include going to another country for most purchases to avoid interference by the idiots in the Ministry," Salazar informed them. "That said, all trips outside the wards will require you to fill out a special trip request form, will be limited to no more than 5 students at a time, and will require a certain level of Defense skill for each participant. This is for your safety and we will be holding extra classes to repair the abysmal education you've received thus far, especially in Defense. For standard supply requests we'll have another form for you to fill out so that you don't have to leave the grounds and potentially get into trouble."

"We will be calling Voldemort's Death Eaters here within the next day or two so that they can be checked over and either released or otherwise dealt with. This may affect some of you as family members but I promise you it is necessary. Since Voldemort has been suffering from some very nasty magics that Dumbledore used against him as a student he wasn't properly sane. This leads us to need to check everyone who is sworn to him now that we've repaired much of the damage to Sal's heir. I still wouldn't advise pissing him off or randomly hugging him but at least he won't hurt you just for asking a question now," Godric told them with wry humor, indicating a huffy Voldemort off to one side with Harry and Snape.

The buzz this set up among the students was phenomenal but the tone was more surprise and happiness than suspicion or hostility. Apparently, while they were still cautious about the Dark Lord the events of the past days and the stories from over Christmas had begun demolishing the fierce reputation of the man. After all if he was still a proper danger to them why would the founders let him walk around freely? For that matter why would he have allowed Harry of all people to tackle him and wrestle with him in front of the gates less than an hour before? For once the students were willing to withhold judgement in favor of investigating this strange new event.

"What about Dumbledore?" Someone called from the crowd of students.

"If that... man ever sets foot on these grounds again I will personally gut him before feeding him to something very very nasty," Godric growled menacingly in answer.

"He put you all in danger repeatedly for no reason so we are rather angry with him at the moment," Helga explained, more calmly than her hot-tempered friend.

"Off you go, no classes for today but tomorrow we're all going to try and get back on a normal schedule," Rowena told them all. She shooed everyone from the great hall with a gentle wave of magic even as she turned to discuss something about the blood feud with her fellow founders.

No one argued, breaking up into groups to discuss the battle royal or the latest events concerning the ministry. There was much wild speculation about what would happen next and if Potter would be involved or if one of the Death Eaters would go mad while visiting. At least the House Elves had the sense to keep anyone from binging on candy or otherwise go too wild.

Harry on the other hand kidnapped his mates and insisted on a day in their quarters together, cuddling.