Chapter 4

Sunday, May 25th

Bailey stares at me, wide eyed and open mouthed, as we sit on her bed in her room.

"You went with him to a bucking last night, and you didn't tell me?!" she squeals. "Leah!!!"

"Bailey!!!" I scream back. "Yes, I went with him. It was really fun."

"I bet it was!" she pulls a Cheeto out of the bag in her lap and crunches it sharply. An impish grin takes over her usually sane-looking face. "Did he kiss you?"

I snort. "Are you kidding me? He's my friend!" I steal a Cheeto right out of her hand, and pop it into my mouth. "And anyway, I wouldn't go to prom with him. What makes you think he would try to kiss me after I told him no?"

She shrugs. "Just hoping, I guess. We never get any drama around here- unless you count the 'mean girl' kind, so I'm kinda wanting for some."

"Me too, but I'd rather feed off yours. What's been going on between you and Dylan?"

Her ears light up like Rudolph's nose in the old stop-motion cartoon. Dylan is one of the cuter boys in our class, and Bailey has liked him ever since he moved here, in sixth grade. "Um, nothing."

I narrow my eyes and since her playfully. "Come on, Bail, your ears are red. What's up?"

She bites her lip, and gives me a speech in typical Bailey-ese, big words and all. "Well, I thought he'd been acting peculiarly as of late, and I questioned him on that. But, if you wish to know, he professed his undying love on Friday, much to my mirth, and I replied-"

The second drag by, and I know she's trying to irritate me. "Come on! You replied-"

She grins mischievously. "I replied: You do?"

I catch myself screaming. "Ohmygosh, Bail!!!! So your going out?" I can't control my voice. It comes out sounding disturbingly squeaky.

"Yep! And he took me to prom!"

I stop short. "Why didn't you tell me?!"

"I forgot! Oh, Leah, I'm sorry!"

I hug her. "It's okay. So how did it go?"

Her smile twists into a grimace. "Well, let's just say greasy chili dogs and nervous first-date Dylan aren't such a wonderful combo."

I raise an eyebrow. "So-"

"He threw up, all over the front of my dress."

Perhaps I shouldn't laugh, but I can't restrain myself. "Oh. My. Gosh. So what did you do?"

She throws up her hands. "What could I do? He projectile vomited all down my chest!" She licks Cheeto dust from each finger.

"Well, what happened after that?"

"I drove both him, and myself, home. That's why his truck is out front. I still haven't taken it back to him." She giggles.

"How about we do that right now?"

Her grin falters. "It might be awkward, you know-"

"Yeah, I know, but that's what friends are for." I bat my eyelashes.

She nods. "Sure it is. I think your just enjoying the idea of watching him apologize for puking on me."

I grin. "Maybe, but let's go."

"Okay." She groans, drops the empty Cheeto bag, and shoves her phone into her pocket. "Mom, I'm going to take Dylan's truck back!!!"

"Okay, sweetie! Don't stay long!"

"I won't!"

I grab the keys off the table, which are obviously Dylan's, judging by the numerous New York Yankees keychains, off the table and we head out. We climb into his 4-door Ford pickup, and Bailey shoves the keys into the ignition, her face flustered.

Dylan lives in town, nearly thirty minutes from us, and it takes us almost forty minutes because Bailey can't remember which street.

But we get there eventually, and we walk up to the front door of the two story brick house, me with enthusiasm, and Bailey with annoyance at my enthusiasm.

I knock sharply on the door, four times. giggle erupts from my throat and Bailey rolls her eyes.

The door opens, and a rather sickly looking Dylan peeks out. He blanches when he sees her, and I have to try very hard to keep a straight face.

She hands him his keys. "I brought your truck back."

They dangle awkwardly from his shaking hands, white and blue logos bobbing. "Thanks, and I am so sorry for last night-"

She waves away his apology. "I told you, it's okay."

"I know, but it was all over you and-" he winces and touches his head gingerly. "I'm sorry."

She touches his hand. "It washes off, you know. It washed off."

He laughs a little. "Yeah." His gray eyes flicker over me. "Who's this?"

"This is Leah." she explains briefly.

I add more to the introduction, since hers didn't do me justice. I give my best cheesy-salesman grin and voice, then I talk as fast and loud as I can."Her best friend, Leah Dodson. We are un-biological sisters by birth, so if you marry her, you have to put up with me. Nice to meet you Dylan."

I grin and shake his hand with gusto.

Bailey frowns at me. "Well, that's all. Let's go Leah. Bye Dylan."

"Bye, Bailey."

"Bye Dylan!"

"Bye Leah. Nice to meet you. Bailey, I'm so sorry that I threw up on you last night-"

"I said forget it!" She laughs, and it suddenly to occurs to me that we don't have a vehicle anymore.

We walk down the sidewalk away from his house, and I nudge her shoulder. "How are we going to get home?"

She grins. "You've had your fun, now it's my turn. Josh is going to take us home."

You know, sometimes I swear that she is completely heartless.