Chapter 20

Sunday, October 5th

I sit on my bed, criss-cross applesauce, facing Bailey, and a bowl of popcorn sets between us.

"So what's been going on with you and Dylan?" I feel really bad. Lately I've been neglecting her, and don't have much of an idea what's been going on between them. She hasn't called me, or brought it up, so I haven't asked. All I know is that they flirt really bad in the cafeteria, even though he never sits with us.

She frowns, wrinkles her nose, and squints. In other words, she wrecks her face the way she always does when she has a piece of not good news, and is about to share it. Sometimes she denies it, but she's a horrible liar, and we have a pact. No secrets, no lies, and no secrets. Did I mention no secrets?

"Well, " she begins, and I brace myself for a butt-load of British-drama type jargon. "I'm not positively certain, but I think he might be reconsidering his declaration."

"Oh?"

She nods. "He has been behaving queerly as of late, and won't look me in the eye. That, as I'm sure you know, is always a disagreeable sign."

I nod quickly. "Get on with it. What did he say to you?"

She changes out of Maggie Smith character for a second. "He said he was rethinking it, and he didn't think it would be a good idea for us to date anymore."

"What?"

She shrugs. "I said okay. That's the end of it."

"I don't think so."

"Well it's true." She isn't doing a great job of hiding her feelings. I can tell that through her indifferent facade, she's having a hard time holding back tears. She smiles, but the corner of her mouth twitches sporadically downwards.

"Hey, it's okay," I lean forward and give her a hug, not caring that greasy pop corn is spilling all over my bed. I pull back eventually, and she wipes her nose. "I have an idea."

"What?" She asks thickly.

"Let's go to Walmart. That always makes me feel better."

She laughs and wipes her eyes, not bothering to avoid smearing her mascara. "Okay."

"Maybe gawk at some Walmartians." I say cheerfully, then hop off the bed and stuff some money in my pocket. "Come on." I walk out of the room, and she follows, still sniffling quietly.

"Hey Mom! Me and Bailey are going to the store! Well be back in a little bit!"

"Okay!" She shouts back.

I grab the keys and my purse off the table, and taking Bailey's arm, head out the door. We climb into the old minivan, and I crank the smoky old engine. It might be a poor excuse of a vehicle, but it's all we've got.

"So are you and Dylan officially ex's?" I must ask questions. Even painful ones. It is my job as best friend in the whole world.

"Kind of."

"Kind of?"

"Not really. He just said he wanted space."

"Oh." I honk at a dog as it darts across the road. "You tell him, that if he breaks your heart, I'll break not only his nose, but also his manhood."

We both laugh shamelessly, and it's a perfect moment of goofy, happy, friendship. It's one of those moments when you realize that people are important. And then it hits you that people aren't immortal, and you never know when you'll see them again, or if you even will.

I turn the dusty blue van onto the highway, and press the gas pedal down further.

"I'll tell him." She jokes, her freckles standing out because of the bright blush that has crept over her cheeks.