Chapter 15

Friday, September 26th

When I wake up, it takes me a minute to figure out where I am. But the location soon comes back to me. The vet's horse barn.

Hunter is sleeping in a normal position, his swollen belly rising and falling with each breath. Words cannot express my happiness at just the fact he's alive. He could just as likely have been dead,

The ground beneath me moves, and soft, warm breath tickles my neck.

I don't know how I ended up in Joshua Hart's lap, but I did, and I don't think I'll move. He's too warm. It got cold last night.

His face looks innocent when he's asleep, precious, sweet, almost angelic. His lips are loose and pouty, his dark leashes are worthy of inspiring jealousy..

Leaning forward, I give him a butterfly kiss. A smile as soft and sweet as the sunlight that warms my bare legs appears on his mouth in reply.

"I love you too." he croaks groggily.

I giggle like a silly flirt. Yep. Silly flirts have a certain way of giggling. "How did I end up in your lap?"

He smirks, his eyes still closed. "You were cold. You tried to take my shirt."

I nod, mostly to myself, that is, since he can't see me. "Oh." Oh, sure. Liar.

He rubs my shoulders. "He's going to make it, Leah."

"I know." I smile, and trace his eyebrows with my finger.

"Did you know that you're beautiful when you're asleep?" he asks sleepily.

I raise my eyebrows. "So are you."

Hunter grunts and raises his head. I hurry out of Josh's lap and sit down next to my horse instead. Josh gives me a hurt look.

"I thought you loved me."

"Joshua Gene Hart! I do!" I pretend to scold.

Hunter leans his face closer to be petted. "You had better not ever do that again." I whisper. I turn around when I hear movement.

"I'm going to go get some breakfast, what do you want?" Joshua brushes a handful of straw our of his hair.

"A pancake?" I ask hopefully.

"Okay. Love you, Leah." He smiles.

"Love you too."

"Here," he gives me his cellphone. "I'll be right back." He leaves.

I glance down at the screen, still petting Hunter with my free hand. There are 15 missed calls from my number, and a text from Bailey.

*Is Leah with you? She won't answer my texts.*

I flip out the little touchscreen keyboard.

*I'm fine, don't worry about me, but Hunter almost died. I spent the night at the vet. Tell Mom I'm okay.*

I know I should call Mom myself, but I don't really feel like getting yelled at this minute. I'll explain my excuses later. If anything can hold off the blushing embarrassment of having to admit that I slept in Joshua's lap for another couple hours, by all means, let's do it.

I stretch, yawn, and lay back against Hunter's dust colored coat. He nuzzles my arm and I go back to petting him. We sit there and I talk to him, watching his ears swivel with my words and his soft eyes go glassy with each occasional spasm of stomach pain.

"Poor baby," I say softly, combing his forelock with my fingers.

I can hear Josh coming, but I pretend I don't, and just continue my conversation with my poor, sick, friend.