Chapter 18

Friday, October 3rd

I hobble around the house on my wrapped ankle, not quite an invalid, but not mobile enough to keep myself entertained. But at least Bailey's here. She came over this morning to help me with Grace and Jonah, and she brought Lilly and Paul, her baby brother, who was born one month before Grace.

I sit down on the couch next to Grace and pull the corner of her blanket over my legs. She doesn't notice. She's too entranced by the mice on Cinderella and their antics.

I sigh and close my eyes. Bailey plops down next to me, a bowl of chocolate ice cream in her hands. I do not understand how she looks good in her swimsuit with all the ice cream. She has a bowl every time she comes over.

I hear someone knocking on the door.

"Who is it?" I shout, pausing the movie.

"It's the horse nerd." Comes the muffled reply.

"Come in then, horse nerd." I say humorously.

The door creaks open, and then closes again.

"Your horse nerd." He corrects me.

"My horse nerd." I agree as he sits down next to me.

As soon as he hits the cushion, he has three little kids in his lap, and yet, he doesn't look uncomfortable at all. Grace has her arm draped around his neck, and is gazing at him with adoring eyes. All girls love cowboys, I think.

I turn the movie back on, and he puts his arm around my shoulder.

"The most romantic movie to watch on a date, without a doubt, is this one." I say sarcastically.

He smiles. "I didn't even notice. Too busy looking at you." He chuckles.

I roll my eyes, only drawing another laugh from him.

Bailey elbows me hard, and I jerk my head toward her.

"What?"

She wiggles her eyebrows.

"Shut up."

"I didn't say anything." She takes another bite of ice cream.

"Smart-Aleck." I hiss, and turn back to Josh.

"Did you walk?"

"Yeah."

"Why did you come?"

"Do you wish I hadn't?"

Bailey elbows me again, and I slap her leg.

"No, I'm always happy to see you."

"That's good."

"But why did you?"

"Tea." He says simply.

I smile. "It's in the fridge."

"Okay." he says, but doesn't move.

"So, the truth this time. Why did you come over?"

He leans closer. "I have a question."

"You couldn't ask over the phone?"

He rolls his eyes. "You know, it's really starting to sound like you don't want me here."

"No! That's not it at all, I just want a straight answer!" I let out a huffy laugh. "So what question?"

"Would you want to learn how to barrel race?" He frowns thoughtfully.

"Maybe, I guess. Well, it depends. Will I be riding Hunter?"

"Yes, if you want."

"Are you going to teach me?" I ask suspiciously.

He gives me a weird look and chuckles. "Yeah, is that a problem?"

"It might be."

"Why?"

Grace suddenly turns to face him, her mouth puckered critically. "How's Peppermint?"

He smiles, but shoots me a look that says 'This conversation isn't over'. He clears his throat. "She's fine."

"Have you been riding her?"

He shakes his head. "No, only you get to ride her."

She gives him a satisfied smile and turns her attention quickly back to the TV.

I grab his arm. "That's another thing. Do you think it's a good idea to let Grace ride?"

He nods. "Sure. My sisters started barrel racing at six, so I think I can let Grace at least sit on my old saddle mare."

That makes me feel just great. They started at age six what I'm about to do at sixteen? Actually, almost seventeen. My birthday's in two weeks.

"Speaking of barrel racing, why wouldn't you want me to teach you?"

"You're a man. What would you know about a sport for girls?"

"A lot more than you do, that's for sure." Sometimes he's such a know-it-all. It makes me want to smack him.

I nod halfheartedly.

"Come on! Admit it! I know more than you do!"

I roll my eyes. "Whatever, and in your dreams." I jump up off the couch, leaving him with three little kids in his lap. He can't go anywhere. Haha.

"Come get me!" I taunt, shooting him a coy look over my shoulder.

He narrows his eyes. "Sometimes, Leah," he's stops there.

Yes, Joshua, I know.

Sometimes, I'm fabulous.