- chapter eight: the body [ part two ]

"what kind of complete and utter dickhead does that?"

the five kids cut through town to get to the school quicker. it's kind of warm out today, erin notices, and lets the air blow her hair back as they cruise on the street.

they make it to the school pretty quickly on their bikes. when they get to the parking lot, erin walks over to eleven and fixes her wig, which had become windswept and off place in their ride. erin's heart warms as the girl lets erin flit around her, remembering how she had flinched when the rest of them had even looked at her.

they walk through the front doors and mike glances back at his friends. "okay, remember, if anyone sees us, look sad." he tells all of them, looking mainly at eleven.

"attention students," a man on the overspeaker begins. eleven confusedly looks over at the three kids at mike's words. to demonstrate, they all put their hands to their faces and make crying faces. she mimics them and they all nod, turning fowards again.

"-there will be an assembly to honor will byers in the gymnasium now. do not go to fourth period."

as the man finishes, mike collides with the av room door, expecting it to open. he sighs. "it's locked."

"what?" lucas asks, exasperated. he goes over to it and starts rattling the doorknob.

"hey," dustin starts, turning to eleven. "do you think you can open it? with your powers?" he asks. eleven leans forward slightly and erin shakes her head.

"what if somebody sees h-" she's cut off as their favorite teacher rounds the corner.

"boys?" mr. clarke asks. they all quickly turn to him. erin sighs loudly.

"erin." mr. clarke added on affectionately.

"hey." lucas breathes, trying to be nonchalant.

"assembly's about to start." mr. clarke says, looking rather confused about what the kids were doing.

"we know. we're just.. you know.." mike starts, putting on a sad disguise and looking down. lucas tries not to laugh. "..upset." he finishes.

"yeah, definitely upset." dustin stammers.

"i'm really sad." erin adds on. "we all are." they all nod.

"we need some alone time." mike tells their teacher.

"to cry." dustin says lamely.

"yeah," mr. clarke sighs. "listen, i get it. i do. i know how hard this is, but let's just be there for will, huh?"

they all nod, letting him talk. "and then.." mr. clarke reaches into his pocket. he pulls out the keys to the door and quickly tosses them to mike. "-the heathkit is all yours for the rest of the day."