- chapter fifteen: the upside down [ part one ]

"stop it, lucas, you asshole. she can't help it."

—

they don't sit there for much longer, waiting for nancy, jonathan, and elizabeth to come back, until mike gets impatient and abruptly gets up. eleven's head almost falls and she gives him almost an annoyed look as he walks away.

erin watches him leave the gym, only to come back a moment later. he stalks over to them. "they're gone."

"what?" lucas asks as erin sits up.

"nancy, jonathan, and elizabeth. his car's gone."

"they're probably just sucking face somewhere." dustin replies. erin gives a disgusted glance at him. "three of them?" lucas asks him from behind her.

"you know what i mean." dustin sighs. "didn't elizabeth have a really big crush on steve harrington or something? maybe she went to find him."

erin rolled her eyes. although, liz had harbored a secret crush on the harrington boy for ages, she hadn't even told nancy or barb out of embarrassment. erin couldn't even begin to think how she must have felt when steve and nancy got together.

"did they go with the chief?" dustin then asks after lucas and mike both loudly exclaim their disgust for dustin's words.

"i don't know." mike tells him.

"no." eleven then says firmly. erin glances over at her. mike does too.

"what? did you see them? do you know where they went?" he asks rapidly. eleven hesitates. "yes."

"where? where did they go?"

eleven stares at him for a small second, her chocolate brown eyes not leaving his.

"demogorgan."

erin stands up, going over to mike. "okay, we gotta talk about this." she says, grabbing his arm and steering him away. dustin and lucas follow as they gather in a huddle and immediately start overlapping each other on ideas.

"guys, guys! this is crazy." mike says. "we can't just wait around."

"mike, in case you forgot, we're still fugitives. the bad men are still looking for us." lucas looks around the group.

"yeah, and we don't even know where your sisters are." dustin chimes in.

"el can find them." mike immediately responds. erin rolls her eyes.

"look at her, mike. she's tired." erin says. they glance back as eleven turns her head to them quickly from where it's set on her knees.

"i still think we should stick to the chief's plan." dustin says.

"exactly. we stay here, keep el out of sight and keep her safe. that's the most important thing, remember?"

erin smiles at lucas. he had come so far from thinking el was a freak. he had every right to be worried, but he came through in the end.