- chapter seventeen: the upside down [ part three ]

"i don't know how to feel now that el's gone."

last part

last part. my heart hurts.

she feels like she's been throwing up for five hours, but it's only been about five minutes.

elizabeth is cooing at her, whispering soothingly in her ear, and holding her hair up and rubbing her back gently. they're standing by the side of the building, away from the bright cop lights and people.

she doesn't think she's ever going to stop completely ruining the yellow magnolias outside the windows. she feels tears mix in with the vomit and tastes salt, along with the pudding they had ate earlier.

the brunette heaves out, hands on her knees as she bends over, vomit gushing out of her mouth like a volcano. she hears liz say something, so she stops for a minute to try and look up, but ends up crying out as she leans back over and pukes into the grass. it's totally disgusting and normally, she would be completely humiliated, but she quite frankly can't give a damn.

letting out a whimper, she spits one final time and stands up straight.

liz is holding her long hair in her left hand, a brown blanket in her right. nancy and, of all people, steve harrington, stand behind her with sympathetic looks. now she really feels embarrassed. the most popular boy over at the high school had watched her puke her guts out. surprisingly, though, he smiles at her in an amused way.

she grins crookedly back at him.

liz chuckles lightly and lets go of her hair, pushing it behind her ears. she wipes erin's mouth off like a mother with the blanket and then drapes it over her shoulders. she wraps an arm around her, and walks towards the front door.

she coughs, and almost gags at her breath. it's putrid. she sniffs, side-eyeing the teenage boy right beside her. she suddenly feels exposed in a bad way. she continues staring at the ground as they walk into the building.

her throat is so sore now, and her tongue feels like jello. she doesn't look up from the floor until she feels a small nudge on her arm. she looks up. nancy is holding out a stick of white gum. she realizes her hair has all fell down around her delicate face.

for some reason, erin's face turns red and she smiles at her as she takes the gum.

liz leads them down some hallways, and then to a waiting room. everyone's already there. her mom is sitting next to karen wheeler, playing with the necklace around her neck anxiously. nancy takes a seat beside her mom with two open seats beside her. on the opposite side of said seats are the boys. liz leads her sister over to them and gently takes a seat next to her best friend.

erin eyes flit over her best friends. mike barely looks up when she sits down, and dustin and lucas are fast asleep, leaning on each other. erin smiles at her boys. she leans back in her seat and closes her eyes, also exhausted.