- chapter fourteen: the bathtub [ part two ]

"it means i hear and see stuff that isn't real."

—

true to his word, hopper protected them. he took them straight back to joyce's house where almost everyone else was waiting.

erin hops out of the police vehicle behind dustin, and immediately joyce, jonathan, nancy, and elizabeth run out.

"mike. oh, my god. mike!" nancy says quickly, running to her younger brother and hugging him tightly. elizabeth makes her way to erin as well and they grasp each other tightly. erin smiles up at her when she pulls away and elizabeth sets her hands on her shoulders, looking her over.

"are you okay? are you hurt?" she asks, moving her head around. erin nods and rolls her eyes. "i'm fine, liz, everything's okay." she says sincerely.

"i was so worried about you." nancy tells mike. he hesitates. "yeah, uh.. me, too." he replies, but it comes out more like a question. nancy suddenly stops and glances behind mike. erin follows her gaze to eleven, who's standing there silently.

"is that my dress?"

after that, joyce quickly ushers them inside, and hopper then demands to know what is going on. mike and the rest of the kids readily sit down, and the wheeler boy begins to draw out the flea and the acrobat theory and then hold it up to hopper, joyce, jonathan, liz, and nancy.

"okay, so, in this example, we're the acrobat. will and barbara, and that monster, they're this flea. and this is the upside down, where will is hiding. mr. clarke said the only way to get there is through a rip of time and space." mike explains.

"a gate."

"that we tracked to hawkins lab." lucas nods. "with our compasses." dustin adds. when the people across from them just seem overwhelmed and confused, dustin holds up his hands.

"the gate apparently has a really strong electromagnetic field, and that can change the directions of the compasses needle." erin suddenly pipes up. she gestures her hands around the air in front of her. she has a really bad tendency to talk with them.

"is this gate underground?" hopper asks from the side.

"yes."

they all look to eleven, who had softly spoken for the first time in a while. she's staring at hopper with lowered eyebrows.

"near a large water tank?" he asks. she nods again. "yes."

"h-how do you know all that?" dustin asks quietly. hopper doesn't respond, just continues staring at eleven, as if trying to figure her out.

"he's seen it." mike suddenly realizes. erin looks to him in confusion.

"is there any way that you could.." joyce's gentle voice starts. she looks at eleven in nervousness. "that you could reach will? that you could talk to him in this-"