Chapter 16

As Loki takes the stand, the prosecutioner turns to Loki. She steps forward and asks "Mister Laufeyson, you stepped forward and spoke out about the abuse of prisoners, at the hands of the guards. Can you please describe this abuse?"

Loki takes a breath, before explaining "The guards pull four prisoners away and force them to fight, to the death."

The prosecutioner nods, before asking "You have first hand knowledge of one of these fights, yes?"

"Objection!" the guards' defense attorney interrupts "Prosecution is leading the witness, your honor!"

"I'll rephrase." the prosecutioner declares, before asking "You have said that you fought in one of these."

"Indeed." Loki nods.

"Will you describe it to the jury?" the prosecutioner asks.

"Every month, four prisoners go missing." Loki starts as he looks to the jury "In my experience, a burlap bag was placed over my head, and I was beaten if I fought them."

He fixes his tie, before continuing "When the bag was finally taken off my head, I was in the shower. There, I was forced to murder my dear friend, Ronan Tyson."

The defense writes something down, before Loki sighs "They handcuffed me and put the bag over my head again." he shifts in his seat "I don't know how much time passed, but I was forced to kneel. When the bag was taken off my head again, I was instructed not the kill my opponent, but try to knock him out. Other Channing was my opponent. We fought. I knocked him unconscious. The guards returned me to my cell. Mister Channing has yet to be released from solitary."

The prosecutioner frowns "Why is Mister Channing in solitary, Mister Laufeyson?"

Loki looks to the guards "The guards told us, at the beginning of our fight, that the loser would, and I quote, 'be taking it up the arse, until they were bored with them'."

"You have an eidetic memory. Is that an exact quote?" The lady asks.

"Yes, ma'am." Loki reassures.

The prosecutioner smiles at Loki, before turning to the judge, before announcing "I have no more questions, at this moment."

When it's the defense, the man steps forward and starts "Mister Laufeyson, will you please tell the jury, why you're in prison?"

"Objection!" the prosecutioner stands "Irrelevance!"

"Goes to the credibility of this witness." the defense insists.

"The witness will answer." The judge declares.

Loki sets his jaw, before announcing "Murder."

The jury stares in annoyance and the defense asks "And how many people have you murdered, Mister Laufeyson?"

Loki sighs, before answering "Fifteen." the jury looks in disbelief.

The defense nods, before asking "You're halfway through your sentencing. Your file says your knee was shattered when you were fifteen. You would not have been able to kneel for long. Did you fabricate this story to get a glimpse of freedom?"

"Objection!" the prosecutioner insists "Badgering the witness!"

The defense smirks "Withdrawn." he looks to the judge "The defense rests."

The prosecutioner steps forward again. After the man sits, she smiles at Loki "What is your favorite song, Mister Laufeyson?"

"Objection!" the defense stands "Irrelevance!"

"Goes to the witnesses credibility!" the prosecution states and the judge lets her proceed.

Loki licks his lips and replies "Sail, by Awolnation."

She holds up a phone and explains "I have submitted this phone, into evidence, under W. On it, is Sail, by Awolnation." she holds up a piece of paper "These are the lyrics to the song." she looks to Loki "Do you understand why you like the song so much?"

He gives a weak smile, before answering "The lyrics connect with me. They make me feel a little less alone."

She smiles at his warmly, before reading out "This is how I show my love. I made it in my mind because I blame it on my ADD, baby. This is how an angel dies. I blame it on my own sick pride. Blame it on my ADD, baby. Maybe I should cry for help. Maybe I should kill myself. Blame it on my ADD, baby. Maybe I'm a different breed. Maybe I'm not listening. So, blame it on my ADD, baby."

She sits the paper down and pulls up a very large file "Article A. Mister Laufeyson's medical file. In which, explains more than a dozen times in which Mister Laufeyson was brought to the prison infirmary, after a suicide attempt."

She turns her back, before pulling out a large stack of files "Articles B through P." She removes the first and last file, before smacking the other files "Articles C through O. These thirteen files, are of thirteen people Mister Laufeyson murdered in prison. Each of them have one thing in common. Sex crimes involving children."

The jury looks to Loki curiously, before the prosecuter holds up the last file "Article P, is the file of Ronan Tyson. One of the many victims of this battle royale. The last kill of Loki Laufeyson."

Loki takes in a shakey breath, as the prosecuter holds up the first file "Mister Laufeyson's first kill." she opens it and reads "Laufey Clayton, died September, the fourth, 2008. Cause of death, exsanguination. He was stabbed 279 times. The next day, Mister Laufeyson confessed to the murder of his father."

The prosecuter asks "You killed your own father?"

Loki nods, before batting his eyes repeatedly. Finally, he gives a weak smile, before wiping his eyes "I'm sorry. I told myself I wouldn't do this." The judge holds a box of tissues down and Loki snags one "Thank you."

The prosecuter looks to the judge "Your honor, the people call for a short recess, to give the witness a moment to gather himself."

"I'm fine." Loki insists as he dries his eyes "If we can, just continue." the prosecuter gives a concerned look and Loki shakes his head "I just want to keep going, because I don't want to waste time on... that..."

The prosecuter gives a weak smile, before stepping back towards Loki "It takes a lot of rage to stab someone 279 times."

Loki nods and the prosecuter steps back to collect a few polaroids "Article Q through V. Just a few of the pornographic photos found in Laufey Clayton's apartment. The photos depict Mister Laufeyson, at many ages, with older men."

Loki takes in a shakey breath and the jury looks at him pitifully. Finally, the prosecuter asks "Why did you and your father move to America?"

Loki stares, deadly, at a ground in front of the prosecuter's table, before explaining "My professor noticed that I was malnutritioned, and had a bite mark on my neck."

"Why did you have a bite mark on your neck?" the prosecuter asks, before explaining "Just to hammer the nail in the casket."

Loki gulps and I swear, he looks smaller than ever. He looks down at his hands and speaks coldly "I was thirteen at the time. Father had been pimping me out for almost a decade before, but he decided to have a few friends over." he wipes his face, before shaking his head "He made me... wear my hair in pigtails, and forced me to wear this white top, and stupid pink tutu and purple girls underwear. He, umm..."

Loki covers his mouth for a moment, looking down and I can see his shoulders tremble. The room is deafly quiet, until a sob escape his lips and the prosecuter looks to the judge, who announces "We'll have a fifteen minute recess."