Chapter 13

Chapter 13

Kate places her lunch tray on the table and slides into the seat across from mine. Troy sits down next to her. "I have some news," Kaye says.

"Good news or bad news?" I ask.

"Depends..." Troy smiles and takes her hand on his.

"Are you pregnant?" Jack asks.

Kate rolls her eyes. "No."

"Well, what is it?" I ask impatiently.

"Well, Troy and I were asked if we could come to a party on Friday night, no you two are invited as well." She grins, but I don't get what so great about it.

"So...?" I ask, looking for more information.

"Soooo, it's a party at Derek's house, so it's gonna be big. Lots of music, lots of people...lots of drinks."

I scoff. "Yeah, whatever."

"Oh, come on," she whines. "It'll be fun. Besides, you deserve to party after what you've been throughout the last couple of weeks." I roll my eyes. "I'm being serious."

I shake my head. "You know I'm not into parties anymore." I've already told her I'm not planning on going to any parties anymore, especially since the cheerleading team usually go to every one.

"Oh, come on," Troy says. "I agree with Kate- you deserve to have fun."

"You're just agreeing with her because you want to get some at the party, you little prick."

He throws his hands up in surrender. "You caught me."

I laugh as he grabs Kate's hand and places it back in his own.

"You're not gonna agree with them, right Jack?" I look at Jack, who is staring at his sandwich. "Actually, um-"

"Really?" I say, defeated.

"Who knows? It might be fun."

I moan in disgust and put my head on the table. Jack pats my back. "You'll get over it, Hannah." I lift my head up and glare at him. He takes his hand off my back and shrugs. "Or not."

I groan again and put my head back on the table.

Friday

I stare at my reflection in the mirror and fiddle with the bottom of my black dress. Kate was right, I do look sexy in it. The black goes perfectly with my red hair; I don't think I've ever looked more beautiful.

"Time for your makeup," Kate says, snapping me out of my own thoughts. I sigh and follow her into her bathroom.

"Are you sure this dress isn't too short?" I ask, even though I know what she's going to say.

"Hannah, it looks fine. It's perfect for the party." She rolls her eyes as she compares different shades of eyeliner. "Besides, most people are going to be wearing even less that that." She finally chooses which color goes best with my eyes and tells me to stay still. I do as she says and soon enough, she has applied mascara, eyeliner, blush, and lipstick on my face, making me look even more stunning than before. "I think that's good enough," Kate tells me after she takes one last look at my outfit.

The doorbell rings. "Troy's here," she says as she grabs her purse. "Let's go."

We both walk downstairs, not worried about her parents catching us- they aren't even home.

We make it to the front door and open it to find Troy and Jack standing there in casual wear- muscle tees and shorts. Their mouths fall open when they see us. Troy smiles, his eyes shining. "Kate, you look beautiful."

She chuckles and puts her arms around his neck, smiling as she leans in to kiss him.

I look away to give them a bit of privacy and notice Jack staring at me. He looks away immediately, staring at the ground.

Kate and Tory pull apart, hand-in-hand, and walk to the car together. I start to follow, but Jack grabs my arm and pulls me back. "You look great, just so you know." I smile, blushing a little. "Thanks," I say. He let's go of my arm. "You look pretty cool, too." He looks down at his casual wear and laughs. "Guys don't take it as seriously as girls do, I guess."

I nod. "I can tell."

"You guys coming or what?" Troy shouts from the driver's seat of the car.

"Patience, young Skywalker," Jack shouts back. We laugh and head for the car, taking the back seat. Troy presses his foot against the gas pedal, and our night begins.