Chapter 3

I was trembling, my breath shaky and my knees hurt from kneeling on the cold concrete ground. The room was dim lit by only candle light. My baggy, stained and torn night gown provided no source of comfort or heat in the cold basement. My eyes landed on a large cross centered in a candle lit alter. My eyes, red and puffy, stung as fresh tears sprung to life, my bottom lip trembling. I did my best to suppress a sob from ripping through my vocal cords.
     I could feel goosebumps rising on my arms as my eyes slowly crawled the walls until it led to a tall wooden post hidden in the shadows. A hook tightly secured on the top by frayed rope. Phantom stings and phantom whipping sounds echoed in the thick, musky air. The door to the basement flung open, making me jump. The tears fell now, hot and quick. Staining my cheeks. I could hear her high heels clacking against the ground, coming closer to me.

     "What did you do?" My mother asked coldly.

     "M–mom…I didn't do anything. I—"

     "You've been doing the Devil's work again!" She hissed, her diluted Irish accent seething with rage. A sob, painful and deep ripped through me then. I shook my head, my matted, greasy hair falling in my face.

     "Mommy, no!"

     "You stupid girl. You are letting him seduce your soul. You must repent. Save your soul, child." She spoke coolly, spitting venom. I felt the cool wrap of leather touch my shoulder and I stiffened. I knew what it was. A cattle whip, rigged with shards of razors at the end. Made to cut deep and leave a mark. I shook my head furiously.

     "I can't. I can't!" I hyperventilated. My mother sucked in air through her nose.

     "Very well. You know what to do." I shook my head, mouthing my voiceless plea. My throat closed, sorrow burning my lungs. I knew what to do alright. She pulled on my hand restraints, tugging my small, starved body to my feet. I stumbled, the roofs of my feet dragging along the concrete, scraping themselves raw. I tried to fight against her, finding myself being yanked twice as hard. I cried out as she ripped my gown off of me. The cold air was only able to numb my bare skin for a moment before I found my hands being sliced by the sides of the hook. I heard her whisper. "This will hurt me more than it will you."
     A scream shredded through me, the whip landing a devastating blow. I felt my flesh tear and separate, blood dripping down my back.

     I sat bolt upright, a scream billowing from me. My eyes widened, not recognizing my surroundings for a minute. I panted heavily, phantom pains tingling my back.

     "Emma?" Claire squeaked, I blinked, running my fingers through my hair before turning my head to face her.

     "What?" I gruffed, waiting for a response.

     "You were making a lot of noise in your sleep," a small voice noted with a slight lisp. My brows drew together in confusion, whipping my head to the front of the room where I found our chapter in a yellow and black zip up jacket. He wore a big grin and was sitting cross legged on the floor in the doorway, his head resting against the doorway. I cocked my head to the side. "My name is Hedwig, I've got red socks."
     Interesting. I thought sarcastically. Hedwig bit his bottom lip, moistening it and looking at me. I threw my legs over the bed slowly.

     "He's on the move," he said with suppressed excitement.

     "What?" I asked gently.

     "He's…On…The…Move," Hedwig repeated slowly.

     "Who?"

     "Someone's coming for you and you're not gonna like it. Why do you scream in your sleep?"

     "Tell us. Please?"

     "Oh, I–I'm not supposed to say. But he's done awful things to people, and he'll do awful things to you. I have blue socks, too!" He added quickly, as if adding in new socks was going to change my mind. Odd how he somehow managed to be cute.

     "How old are you, Hedwig?" I asked, taking a shot in the dark.

     "Nine." He answered, sitting up proudly. I glanced over at the girls. They looked confused by my questions, wondering why I hadn't just tried to attack him yet. My hand slid under my pillow, gripping the velvety bag. I pulled it out from its hiding place, I would be taking a huge risk.

     "Do you like secrets, Hedwig?" I asked, sliding onto the floor and making my way to the foot of the bed so I could see the light of the bathroom. I swallowed thickly.

     "Yeah I like secrets. Though Ms. Patricia and Mr. Dennis don't really tell me much. I just ate a hot dog,"

     "Well, I can tell you some things. I can tell you a lot of things, want to know how?"

     "I do, but I'm not supposed to be here. I took the light from Mr. Dennis and he'll be back soon. I can't take the light for too long or he'll get angry etcetera."

     "This will only take a few minutes, not too long. I promise." I assured, coaxing the nine year old into coming over. He duck crawled over, staying on his feet effortlessly. His shoes squeaked on the floor and I cringed slightly. I pulled my deck free, enjoying the sight of its galaxy color behind a triple moon look. The energy greeted me, wrapping me in warmth. It was ready to be used. "See these cards? They speak to me, Hedwig. They tell me secrets." I told him. Our faces now only a few inches apart.

     "You're a big fibber,"

     "No, I'm being honest. They talk to me. They tell me things, like the future or things about other people or things."

     "H–how does it work?" Hedwig asked skeptically. I smiled, I had him where I wanted him.

     "Let me show you." I said, splitting the deck and shuffling them.

     "What do they say about Mr. Dennis?"
     I paused, that's not what I was going to start with. I looked up at him for a second and gave him a small smile. This kid was smarter than I gave him credit for.

     »Keep shuffling.« The cards instructed, the familiar jolt of electricity shot down my spine as I did what they said.

     "How many shuffles?" I asked aloud, earning a confused stare from Hedwig and the girls.

     »Three…«
     My fingers made quick work of the shuffle, quickly patting and smoothing the cards out. »Split the deck. Have him choose 3 cards.«

     "But he isn't Dennis." I argued lightly. The cards stayed silent, making me slightly irritated. I sighed, tapping the cards. "Choose three."
     Hedwig hesitantly chose three cards, stepping back like it was a magic trick. I flipped the cards over, my eyes widening. Strength. In the past spot, my heart immediately ached.

     "This is a major arcana, on most occasions, this represents something that is permanent. Since this is in placement of the past, it is much the same case. Dennis is strong, a protector. Or at least that's what he used to be, a protector to someone he loved dearly," I flipped the next card over, biting my lip. Ten of Swords. The man printed on the card lay face down, five swords sticking out of his back while the rest sticking out of the ground around him. This was bad. "Someone is manipulating him. This card is in the placement of present. The image shows betrayal."

     "I–I don't like what your cards are saying. I gotta go blow my nose now." He said, abruptly turning around, tears building up in his eyes. I stood up quickly, about to protest when the third card flipped over. The Wheel of Fortune. Whatever he was planning, it was going to come to fruition. I looked over to the girls with a grim look as Hedwig slammed the door shut. We had to get out of here before it was too late.