Chapter 12

Patricia hadn't stopped nagging at him when she had found out about everything. She was a furious fluster of rage and anxiety. Constantly screeching in his ear.

"What if she tells the police? We are ruined, Dennis. We'll have to find another safe space, this won't do."

"Patricia, stop. Emma wouldn't do that." He reassured her half convincingly, unsure about what he had just said hinself.

"Are you sure? Are you so sure? Think carefully now, Dennis. You thought you knew her character before all of this yet here we stand," Patricia hissed condescendingly. Dennis' eyebrows drew together and he looked down, scanning her cot. The sheets were tightly tucked and carefully folded over, her pillow lightly fluffed to reanimate it. He hadn't noticed that she had made her bed before.

"Okay," he spoke through thick sorrow which had risen from the pit of his stomach. "I will admit that I didn't think she would try and trick me, but—" Dennis tried to stand up for her, his blue eyes raising towards the mirror in the bathroom. His features slowly changing to one of exasperation. His eyebrows arched, mouth suddenly agape as Patricia took hold of the light.

"Of course she was going to try and help her friends escape. Dennis, they don't understand what is going on, all they see is a crazy man who kidnapped them. They don't know what we know. These girls are her friends, you are just a man she unwillingly met two days ago. What did you think would happen?" Dennis took hold of the light again, his features hardening. Guilt stabbed at him violently, he hadn't considered their side of things before. When Patricia put it that way, he couldn't blame her for tricking him but that still never changed the fact that Emma had chosen to stay. There was a connection between them that stretched its roots deeper than anything he had ever felt before. It was electric and instant. He pushed the inside of his cheek out with his tongue in thought, rolling it to the inside corner of his mouth.

"You are half right, Patricia. She tricked me and almost let her friends escape but you are missing something so important but so easily overlooked. Hell, I even overlooked it until now,"

"What's that, Dennis?" Patricia sighed heavily, humoring him but pinching the bridge of her nose.

"She stayed." Dennis breathed out. Patricia grew silent, slipping away from the love torn man and their conversation. For all if their sakes, she hoped he was right about her. Emma was pure but she never had the pleasure of meeting the Beast before. She didn't know his plan to enlighten and ultimately save those who were impure.
Dennis turned around, feeling awful for not seeing it earlier. She had stayed for him. She could have killed hin at any moment but she chose to gather him into comfort. Her eyes had gleamed with happiness when he woke up, tears almost pouring out of her. Then he ruined it with his rage. He saw the hurt in her eyes, the mere recognition of his pain had made her wrought with guilt.
The Beast rumbled deep within his mind, his head aching terribly though if it was from where he was hit or the Beast trying to get into the Light he had no idea.

"Let me have the Light, Dennis. It's time to witness His glory." Patricia coaxed softly. Dennis' back stiffened, his eyes squeezing shut as the tight lipped British woman took over, his head rolling and settling until he dipped his head.

     He stood back from the lit up chair in the middle of the circle of other chairs. His eyes settled on his own empty chair. He stopped in front of it, feet frozen in place on the concrete floor. He didn't want to be here, in the dark, he wanted to be with her. Emma, the only girl he had had a real connection with. He knew that if he sat down now, this was it until he woke up again, he would fall into a deep sleep until he was woken up and allowed to take the light. He didn't want to wait. He wanted to find her.
     A loud, feral growl sounded behind him, he stiffened and spun around, muscles tense and ready to strike. He was immediately met by large silver orbs that caught the light with a hungry gleam. The figure was beastly, muscles bulky and covered in charcoal fur. The Beast towered over Dennis, his movements godly in a way. The Beast stepped forward, causing Dennis to step back, the chair hitting him mid calf. The Beast continued to growl, stalking forward as if hunting prey.

     "I know what happened, Dennis." The Beast said. Dennis stood frozen in shock, this was his first time meeting the Beast. "It's alright my child. You have done nothing wrong. We will find her after tonight, this I promise you."

     "I don't know where she went, Philadelphia is a big place. How are we going to find her?" Dennis asked, his voice cracking. The Beast smiled a toothy smile, teeth sharp and ready to sink into something.

     "You can do what you believe you can do. Sit, sleep. When you wake, she will be here." The Beast promised. Dennis nodded slowly, his body lowering until his bottom touched the chair. Sleep took him in almost an instant, numbing his limbs and causing his eye lids to become heavy. The last thought he had before he drifted into sleep was of Emma and him kissing passionately, his fingers tangling in the wild flames of her hair and her own tracing the muscles in his back.