Chapter 7

It wasn't a restful night by any means. Between concocting a plan to get the girls out of here and my emotions getting in the way, I'd say I was more than a bit stressed and slightly above confused. For the most part I tried to focus on the sounds of Marcia's purring snores, hoping that they would put me in some type of metronome like trance so I could finally sleep and think of answers in the morning. There were only two real ideas, either I found a way to seduce Dennis and his other counterparts or Marcia and I somehow tag team him and hurt him.
     His most vulnerable state was when Hedwig came out, he was more susceptible to trickery and ambushes, but I didn't know if I had the strength in me to harm a child – even a child trapped inside a grown man's body. Plus, I didn't know if I could stand to see the hurt and betrayal in Dennis's eyes if the seduction plan worked, I know how it feels to have the people you trust betray you. Nothing heals that wound.
     By the time I fell asleep it must have been earlier in the morning, I could hear one of the personalities moving about. It must have awoken Marcia because I woke up with her snuggling close to me, worry carved into her forehead as she slept and dark circles beginning to form under her eyes. She stunk a bit, but I wasn't about to tell her that. Being kidnapped and almost forced to dance for some strange man is more than a little scary and I could understand her caution when it came to using the shower.
     When she woke up there was nothing but silence outside. To anyone else that silence might be taken as something of a comfort, but I knew differently. The hair on my arms stood erect, I could feel Dennis's energy pressing into my skin like a tattoo. My breath shook slightly, I'm sure he was listening to us and I was more than positive he could feel my energy returning the call.

     "Emma, we have got to get out of here. You have to help me think of a way to get us out of here," Marcia pleaded a little too loudly. My eyes were trained on the crack in the door, zeroing in on gray features. I could almost hear his breath pitch as he awaited my answer to the girl's desperation. My eyes flicked from the door to Marcia who was on her knees in front of me, her palms shaking as they rested on my legs. Her big, brown doe eyes practically twinkling. I turned my head slowly to her, hoping she would catch the hint to just play along from the intensity of my stare.

     "You saw what he did to Claire. He picked her up like she was a toothpick. How do you expect us to be able to escape him? He's faster than us, stronger than us and probably smarter. It must have taken him a bit of time to prepare for us, okay, so unless you plan on bulking up or becoming a track star in the next few minutes I suggest you keep your mouth closed and sit down." I barked at her through a hushed sigh. Her eyes sprang to life with tears, making my heart clench.
     Without any warning I pulled her into a hug which she accepted fully. Now was my chance to tell her about the plan. "I'm sorry, but he is on the other side of that door listening in. I have a plan but I can't tell you now." I whispered, feeling her instantly tense up at my words. It took a bit if effort to keep her head onto my shoulder so as to not avoid suspicion. Suddenly Marcia relaxed, nodding subtly before pushing away.
     I drew in a breath, hearing the door unlock. My spine went rigid, the baby hairs on the back of my neck stood erect as Dennis walked through the door calmly as if pretending he wasn't listening. I couldn't stop my breath from taking shelter in my lungs as the familiar energy zapped my skin. Our eyes met immediately and a tinge of guilt slammed my stomach, our gaze lingering on each other for a moment too long. I let him break our gaze first, allowing him to have the upper hand while I snuck a quick glance at Marcia.
     Follow my lead, I want to say. I'm hoping my eyes are making my message clear. I turned my attention back to Dennis and it was then that I noticed the immaculately folded clothing in his hands. I smiled gently, he must have washed them while we slept. I reached out, brushing his fingertips with mine softly, enough to make his breath hitch almost silently. It made shivers run down my spine and a warmth swirl deep in my belly. Dennis straightened up abruptly, clearing his throat.

     "I just wanted to drop your clothes off to you." He grunted before turning around, not sparing me another glance. I'm not going to lie, my heart sunk at his actions and for a moment I wondered what I did wrong. When the door shut and he had secured it behind him I turned to Marcia.

     "Get dressed, we don't know when he will be back." I ordered softly, not wasting a second. Marcia nodded, grabbing her clothes and thrusting them on quickly.

     "So, what exactly is your plan, Emma?" She whispered under her breath. I didn't pause my movements, taking my phone from my bra and grinning.

     "I'll give him a little show, with any luck I will distract him into forgetting to lock the door behind him. When you escape get Claire and run. Don't look back, okay?"

     "But, Emma—"

     "Promise me, Marcia. This may be your only chance." I repeated, my tone grave and my Irish accent slipping out. Marcia paled slightly, her eyes widening in shock.

     "Fine." She sighed, nodding in agreeance. My shoulders slumped, a sigh of relief escaping me silently. So long as they were safe it didn't matter what happened to me. In fact, I was sure it wouldn't matter to them. Battling with the butterflies in my stomach I looked to the door. I had no idea when Dennis would come through our threshold again, so there was nothing left to do but bide my time and wait for an opportunity.