15 | fw: my new opportunity

August 7th, 2012

Remember when I said that I was excited for Ja-Eun's trip to Iceland with Professor Khan? Well guess what? Professor Khan just emailed me and told me that one of the graduate students had to cancel due to personal reasons, and he offered me the va...

Remember when I said that I was excited for Ja-Eun's trip to Iceland with Professor Khan? Well guess what? Professor Khan just emailed me and told me that one of the graduate students had to cancel due to personal reasons, and he offered me the vacant spot! And I'm not even a Biology major, I just have a minor in Microbiology.

Yes, Mom, I'm going to Iceland (to do research, but it's still a great excuse to explore nevertheless)!

I couldn't believe it when I received that email, especially since I'll be the only undergraduate if I accepted. Professor Khan urged me to decide quickly because if I'm not available he'd offer the spot to someone else. I had to accept; this is an opportunity of a lifetime!

Turns out, the trip will be in late August and not early August and we'll return a few days prior to New Year's Eve.

Negotiating with the University about delaying the start of senior year till the Spring Semester has been a hassle, but having Professor Khan pulling some strings did help a lot. Best part of it all: I don't have to pay a single dollar. All expenses are funded by the National Geographic Grant Program.

I emailed Ja-Eun about the great news and she was ecstatic; we're both excited. Once Kieran knew, he congratulated me and invited me to one of his favorite restaurants to celebrate.

I eventually had to pay for the bill since Kieran forgot his damn wallet.

Nevertheless, these following weeks will be hectic. I have to finalize my Visa, pack, and take a bus down to Waterloo where Professor Khan's research team would meet.

Wish me luck! I'll mail you some pictures once I'm there.