First Chapter

❝Life is a progress, and not a station.❞

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

[ H U N T E R     W I L L I A M S ]

My story began during my senior year in Lockwood High School, I had the life that you would practically dream of as an almost-eighteen-year-old, I had everything I could ever want and I was happy with it. However, I couldn't help but feel a little sad and petrified sometimes, perhaps I was anticipating the stress that's already beginning to tear me apart, or perhaps I have some kind of sixth sense that alerts me when something bad is going to happen.

Whatever it was, I wanted it to go away.

 Over a month into the school year, everything was in full swing, old cliques had reassembled and new ones had formed, the tryouts for the soccer team had already passed and our finals were already itching for attention. At least the thing I cherished the most wasn't changing just yet - my friend group. It consisted of seven lovely people and was as diverse as it could be, we had your resident nerds, jocks, cheerleaders and of course - me. It was like something out of a high school cliché.

Today was an unusually sunny Tuesday morning, was a nice break from all the rain lately. I was walking down the main school hall with all the lockers hugging the walls in an orderly fashion, the first period had just ended and it was time to prepare for the following - advanced English literature, conducted by none other than the biggest witch of the century - Mrs. Roseveld.

I don't think I've ever hated a teacher more than I hated that spiteful snake. She had been tormenting me ever since sophomore year, always critiquing me for the wrong things, indirectly calling me stupid when I was trying my best on the essays and in general making me feel unwelcome. 

The worst part about it was that I couldn't switch classes, because apparently, I didn't have a good enough of a reason to.

As I was reaching the end of the hallway, my half-blind arse finally saw the beautiful girl standing in the general area where my locker resided. That beautiful girl was, in fact, my girlfriend of two years - Bailey Woods, she suddenly looked up from her phone and met me with the most beautiful smile that I couldn't ever forget.

"Hey, you! How was biology?" Her voice matched her beaming smile.

"Hey, Bails. It was alright, dissecting frogs and all that fun stuff, as usual." I chuckled, before continuing. "How did your chemistry test go? Did you kill it?" I asked her enthusiastically, she's been dreading that damned test during the whole weekend.

"Yeah, it went alright, it wasn't as hard as I thought it would be, honestly. I guess all that studying really paid off this time." She beamed.