Second Chapter

❝Sometimes you don't realize your own strength until you come face to face with your greatest weakness.❞

- Susan Gale

[ H U N T E R   W I L L I A M S ]

For some odd reason, I couldn't help but have this bad feeling in my gut. When Mr. Carter called out for me and told me to stay behind to talk, I really didn't know what to expect. The class did not go as well as I would've liked it to, and right about now, I felt like I was in for a scolding.

The bell rang not even a minute after everyone dipped right out of the classroom and I was growing even more anxious by the moment. Mr. Carter looked up from his phone and took a seat in the office chair, conveniently sitting behind the teacher's desk. I sat on a desk and stared at the teacher waiting for him to speak up. 

The teacher cleared his throat and began talking. "I read the report your last teacher wrote about you and I just wanted to warn you." 

I raised an eyebrow, what report? "Would you mind telling me what the report is about, sir?"

"I wanted to get to know more about my future students before I got to meet you, so I read your files and your previous teacher's notes. She was quite vocal about you, said you disobeyed her rules and I hope you understand that things will have to change as long as I'm your teacher." He glared daggers at me and I felt uncomfortable, that witch really didn't like me, did she now?

"With all due respect, sir. You have to look at the both sides of the story, I don't know what I did to upset Mrs. Roseveld, but she had been putting me down since a couple of years ago, both academically and occasionally psychologically." I explained and it was the teacher's turn to raise an eyebrow at me.

"Is that so?" He muttered skeptically.

"Yeah, I may not be the smartest student, however, I can assure you that I am not anything like whatever Mrs. Roseveld wrote in her notes."

"I'll believe you on that one for now, but we do have to discuss the situation with your grades. While looking through your files, I noticed that you were a part of the school's soccer team with such appalling English grades. Do you have any issues with English that you would perhaps need help on?" Mr. Carter asked more sincerely this time and I was rendered dumbfounded for a second, how could someone switch from being so vile to so sincere in a matter of seconds?

"Really, sir. I'm fine and I'll manage myself somehow, what matters to me the most is that I'm passing the class at the moment." I answered, my statement was true, I wasn't one to push myself in a situation I know I can't change, I was never too good at English, whether it was writing, reading or even talking, honestly most of the time I'm a total mess.