Twenty-Second Chapter

❝Don't trust the person who has broken faith once.❞ 

- William Shakespeare

[ H U N T E R   W I L L I A M S ]

It was a new day and I fully ready to sulk again. It was the last Friday of school before I went away for the ski trip on Monday, so that was the only thing that kept up my mood.

I wasn't able to get much sleep after my chat with Evelyn, but at least I managed to squeeze in a couple of hours. Yesterday, Evelyn and I had concluded that we would move forward and we'd see how things went from there.

I was happy with our decision, and today I was going to make the first step - break up with Jake Phillips. Our relationship was an impulsive and extremely reckless decision from my part and it had to be put down before it grew into a bigger mess. My morality seemed to be back to chewing me from inside out, but I was content that I was finally going to strike a change.

I couldn't just try to brush my feelings for my English teacher under the rug, but using other people as an emotional crutch was not an option either. I figured I would just have a deep conversation with Jake and he'd understand, we weren't too close sentimentally and our relationship was mostly physical in the end - shouldn't be a huge problem.

I was already walking towards Lockwood High School, chip up higher than my level of education, determined to strike a change in my life.

Over the last couple of months, my mood has been a total rollercoaster of chaos, that also needed to change. One day I felt extremely down, the other it felt like I was on top of the world, only to be crushed by my doubt a few moments later - inconsistency did not have a place in my life anymore. 

I knew I was shying away from thinking about Blake Carter because, truthfully, I hadn't figured out what I was going to do with him just yet. I needed to focus on ending one more dilemma before solving the other, I can't just let them both barrage my head at the same, it wasn't good for my health.

Before I knew, I was in Lockwood, going about my day just like usual. Oddly enough, I didn't see my, soon to be ex, boyfriend, Jake all day, he usually had perfect attendance despite hating hanging around large groups of people. I knew I'd have to meet with him after school if he wasn't present, there was no point stalling. I needed my head as clear as possible so I could enjoy the ski trip coming up next week, it was time for a break from mental stress.

It was already time for lunch, but I wasn't heading towards the cafeteria, I was heading towards my English literature classroom.