Eighteenth Chapter

❝I would rather walk with a friend in the dark, than alone in the light.❞

- Helen Keller.

[ H U N T E R   W I L L I A M S ]

I wasn't kidding when I said there was a very serious conversation on the way out of the oven with my best friend.

We were currently sitting back at Mugs' sipping on our coffee after a long day of classes. "So are we going to talk or just stare at each other awkwardly?" Evelyn spoke, stirring her coffee with a straw.

"I mean, what is there to even talk about?" I rolled my eyes, I knew damn well that there was a situation on our minds, but I didn't want to acknowledge it.

She sighed deeply and looked into my eyes, no longer playing with coffee. "I want an explanation, Hunter, we never talked about these kinds of things before. How did it even happen?"

"I don't know exactly how it happened, it just sort of did." I shrugged, pausing to take a sip. "Blake and I started meeting after school to work on my English, which by the way is paying off well, then we kinda became friends. I guess I was kind of in a vulnerable state when we started talking more often and I fell."

"You know, I teased you about this, but never in a million years would I have thought this would happen." She chuckled, I knew Evelyn wasn't mad or disappointed, she had no reason to be. She wanted answers and truthfully she deserved them because I hadn't been sharing much lately.

"How do you think I feel? I woke up in his apartment after having him pick me up from the police station, saw his one-night stand leaving and got super jealous." I chuckled bitterly, remembering the situation as if it happened an hour ago.

"He had a one-night stand?!" Evelyn's eyes nearly bulged out of their sockets, I wasn't sure why she was surprised though.

"I mean, yeah. It was his birthday, he went out clubbing and picked up a chick. Not all that surprising, the man is hot and you know it." I rolled my eyes at her. Not only was the man hot, but he was also caring, sweet and patient. I sighed dreamily.

"I guess you're right, you know sometimes I forget that teachers are people too. Just seems so weird thinking about your teacher railing somebody." Evelyn scrunched her face up in disgust and I nodded in response. I think it was the same with any kind of authorities in our lives, we didn't want to imagine that aspect of their lives just to maintain a good image.