Chapter-2

Next morning I saw him again. I was pedaling down the same street I always did on my early morning bike rides, and I saw him standing outside the abandoned building. The early morning fog made him look blurry but I could still see the cigarette between his lips. I was mad at myself for not convincing him to quit smoking.

"Kyle" I said, walking up to him.

"Kid," he responded with a sly smile.

"My name is Wendy" I informed him. "but that doesn't matter, I only stopped to tell you to quit smoking. It's bad for you."

He dropped his cigarette on the concrete twisting his foot over it. "There. Done."

I raisedmy eyebrows, astonished.

"That's it? You're done smoking?" I was sure it would take a lot more persuading.

"Well I'm done smoking that fag"

I glared at him "that's not a nice word"

He responded with "it doesn't have any offensive or inoffensive implication in the context used in it"

I wasn't positively sure if I knew what he meant. "Anyway... How can I get you quit smoking?"

Kyle sighed, "you can't, Wendy. I've been smoking for years now; you can say I'm an addict."

"For years?" I asked,surprised. "How old are you?"

He grinned down at me "how old do I look?"

His face wasn't wrinkly or saggy looking. He had strong jaw, high cheekbones and flawless skin. His blue eyes were so lively and bright that I could see my own reflection in them. He looked like a model. He was that faultless. "Nineteen?" I asked.

He shrugged. "Sure."

"What? Does that mean yes?"

He smirked. "Sure"

I glared at him placing my hands on my hips "you're really annoying, you know that?"

He laughed "and you're really judgemental"

"No. I'm not."

"You judge me for smoking, for the way I communicate and now you're declaring me annoying"

Okay, he had a point, I thought. "Fine" I agreed "I'm sorry, but it just makes me mad. A lot of people die from smoking, and I just think that it's important to educate people not to do it."

He gave me a knowing look "are you quoting something you learned in school?"

My cheeks grew hot because he saw right through me "No..." I lamely said.

He shrugged "whatever" he took out a pack of cigarette from his jeans' pocket, followed by his lighter.

"What are you doing!??" I shouted

"What does it look like I'm doing?"

"You're smoking just after everything I said!"

"Correct"

I balled my hand into fist "GIVE ME THOSE CIGARETTES"

He grinned lopsidedly "what? You want one?" He teased.

My face was red out of anger "NO"

Kyle flicked on his lighter "why are you so adamant on me not smoking anyway?" He asked curiously.

"Because my dad died of smoking" I said honestly. It wasn't a tear threatening topic because I hardly remembered my dad. He had died of lung cancer when I was three. But kyle didn't need to know that.

He flicked his lighter off and the amber gold light disappeared, "I'm sorry, kid"

"It's okay."

He opened his mouth to talk and words came out, but I didn't hear them.

All I heard was hee hee hee, coming from the air. That menacing laugh. I didn't want Kyle to know that I was crazy, so I ignored the laugh and nervously looked at him "what did you say?" I asked "I didn't hear"

"I said, I'll try to quit smoking" he said, loud and clear.

My face lit up with joy "Really!?"

"Yeah. Really."

hee hee hee echoed in the air once again, I uncontrollably shivereshivered despite the coldness.

"Are you alright Wendy?!" Kyle asked concerned.

"N-- Yes" I abruptly said "I just have to got to school" I lied "I'm gonna be late" The truth was, I didn't have school for another two hours. Really, I was scared out of my wits at that goosebump inducing laugh.

"Right" he said, not really buying my excuse "well... See ya"

"Bye." I shakily said. I climbed on my bike and pedaled away. My brain was fighting over two emotions right then: ONE, pride that I've gotten kyle to at least try to quit smoking. And TWO, fear that I was going crazy because that menacing laugh was haunting my thoughts.