Chapter-7

For the following two days, I skipped my morning bike ride and hibernated in my room. It was the weekend, and I had no plan anyway, so I spent the time preparing a pros and cons list as to whether or not I should tell people about the laughing in the back of my head.  It wasn't like the ominous cackles were constantly there; it was simply my brain playing it over and over on repeat. That sound... Deep and evil and fearful. It made me feel like I was growing slowly insane. And so I created that list, and at some point only two prominent arguments were quarrelling in my brain.
Positive: I would feel less insane confiding in someone.
Negative: I would simply be taken as mental.
I didn't go on my bike ride next day either. Then the weekend rolled around in a blur, and before I knew it, I was back in school walking amongst my small group of friends. We were in hallway, on our way to the cafeteria and for the umpteenth time that menacing laugh was bugging me.
Finally I decided, I can't take this anymore. I ignored the series of consequences that came with confiding someone, but keeping it to myself was driving me even more insane.
"I need to talk to you," I whispered to my closest friend, Amy. She had long blonde lock and innocent green eyes. Before she could say anything, I tugged her arm and pulled her to a janitors' closet before our two of friends could notice. 
"I need to talk to you," I repeated.
"And you couldn't wait 'til lunch?" She lightly joked.
I shook my head. I felt tears springing my eyes, threatening to stream down my cheeks. "No," was all I whispered.
"Oh, Wen," she gasped, wrapping her arms around me in a comforting embrace. She could see that I was in pain. "It's okay," she murmured "whatever it is, it'll be alright."
I stayed in her arms for a bit, and since we were so emotionally close to one another, there wasn't any awkward tension at all. It was reassuring.
"Thanks." I sighed, pulling back. I wiped my cheeks with my sleeves.
"Anytime," she half-smiled, looking sympathetic. "You wanna tell me what's going on? It's okay if you don't, I'll understand."
"No, I do. I really do need to tell someone... Just" I bit my lip, figuring out how to phrase what I was going to tell. "Please don't think I'm crazy once I tell you."
She laughed at that "You're the most sane person I know. Don't you worry about that."
I smiled. But it felt forced because I was nervous. "I've been hearing this laughing, Ames. Like... In my head, out of thin air." The weight was lifted from my chest once I said it, but the anticipation was still there.
"Laughing?" She echoed.
"Yes."
Her green eyes sparkled with curiosity. "What does it sounds like?" She asked.
I blurted out, "evil" without even thinking. It was true though. The laugh was nothing if not evil.
"Evil?" Her lips twisted unpleasantly.
"Do you think I'm crazy?"
"No, Wen. I'm just trying to make sense of it. There must be a rational explanation."
"Trust me," I replied. "Anything you think of, I've already thought it twice."
"Hmm." She tied her hair in a quick ponytail. "I'm going to ask you some questions, anyway, because you may as well be blind-side with all the commotion going on in your head."
I gently rubbed my temples. "I guess that makes sense." I complied.
"Alright," she clapped. "Is this... laugh in your head...a consistent thing? Like do you often hear it?"
"No," I quickly replied. "I've only heard it a few times, within this past week."
"Okay. At home?"
I actually didn't think about that one. It never crossed my mind.... "No," I told her.
"Okay, then where have you heard it before?"
"The same place," I immediately said, realization hitting me like a train. "Outside the abandoned asylum on Chestnut Street."
"That place where you and Brenda went to on Friday?"
"Yeah." I'm such an idiot, how did I not think about that earlier?
Amy rubbed her chin, pacing back and forth around the small space of the room. A few loose strands of blonde hair framed her concentrated face and they gently swayed as she walked. Her green eyes now had a conclusion.
"What is it?" I anxiously said.
She stopped pacing around and passed me a determined look. "I think you should go back to that building," she abruptly said, "And I think I should come with you."
___________________________________________________
What do y'all think of this chapter? Please do vote and comment if you like it. Also, if you have any questions about this, feel free to ask. Thank you.

The Asylum On Chestnut Streetजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें