Chapter- 10

I stood on the side of the road with Amy, the both of us looking at the gray broken-down asylum decorated with ashes and grit. There were dark vacant holes in the absence of windows and up the charred walls of the building was hideous ivy that grew taller than me. Overall, the place had an ominous ambience and looked even scarier with the thick amount of trees on the either side of it. The eerie woods made the building feel somewhat isolated from the rest of the chestnut, which brought me slight discomfort.
I wrapped my arms around myself, my mind racing back the events of this morning. "It happened again," said I, breaking Amy and I's newfound silence. "This morning."
My curly-headed friend lifted up her blonde eyebrow. "The laughing?" she asked. A faint fog of her breath formed in the air when she spoke and I nodded in the response to the question. "Hmm." Her eyes glanced around in thoughts. "Well, do you hear it right now?"
"No," I answered.
"Well, that's good." She stuffed her hands into her jacket's pocket, stood up taller and slightly swayed back and forth like she was trying to keep warm. "So, are you ready?"
I swallowed, tracing her gaze back to the asylum. "Yes." I half-heartedly said.
She clapped her hands. "Alright," she concluded "let's do this!" She started for the entrance to the building, and I followed behind, trying my best to feign a smile that could somewhat resemble the ecstatic one plastered on Amy's face.
"Let me know when you hear the laughing again," she said, not looking back. "I mean, if you hear it again."
I think we both knowknow I will, I thought with tire. But "OK" was all I said.
A minute later we reached the front archway, and instinctively looked at amy for instructions.
"Do you mind if we go inside?" She asked. "For research?"
I knew we were standing in the exact place I'd collapsed the last time I was here with her, but didn't here any laughter this time- not even faintly as I've heard before - so I decide I might as well concede and venture a little further.
I meekly nodded, "I-I guess..."
"Great!" She exclaimed in too chipper of a tone. "I'll lead the way," she said, stepping into the entrance hall. I followed behind with the massive panic arising inside me, though I managed to push it away for the time being.
Everything looked the same as it did before. Same wreckage, same cracked floor, same graphitized walls enclosing the scary lobby. And same staircase in the far back of the room, which Amy promptly decided we should climb. 
"Ames, I don't think it's safe." Was my response to her decision. My intuition was telling me that climbing up a dilapidated set of stairs that had lived long enough to survive the fire that conquered this place was not a bright idea.
"What? You don't want to see what's on the next floor?" She glanced at the ruined staircase behind her, as her body was currently facing me.
"That's not what I said."
A bite of the lip. "I know," she responded gently. She shrugged, letting out a exaggerated sigh. "I just wish you were a little... ballsy sometimes.
A disbelieving scoff escaped my mouth while I pointedly raised my eyebrows at her. "Ballsy..." I drawled out, testing the word. "Is that mean I have to prove you wrong or something?"
She passed me a keen smile. "Maybe."
I pursed my lips thinking this through. I couldn't really argue with Amy for basically calling me a Pussy. I was a simple person who veered away from trouble, and tried not to associate with the people who were a bad influence.
Pretty much all of my friends were the opposite - natural born daredevils-  but even they steered of clear obvious disorder. So I guessed if Amy thought of going upstairs was no big deal, then it probably wasn't. "I accept the challenge," I announced. "And I'll even lead the way." I boldly added. It was mainly because I was willing to put my safety before a friend's.
Her eyebrows shot up to her hairline. "Wow! I wasn't expecting that," she swung her arms around the stairwell. "Then, I guess... After you."
"Yes."
And with that I walked towards the set of stairs and began taking cautious steps just in case they were about to collapse altogether. Luckily they seemed sturdy, and so I picked up my pace, hearing the sound of Amy's footsteps following behind. I felt greatly courageous at that moment and I wondered if this was the start of the new me. A girl who scoffed at the face of trouble, and a girl who could battle any menacing laughter that invaded her head.