03 | daddy issues

Warm ribbons of molten sunlight showered on her golden skin as Sahar clutched the belt of her Burberry trench coat and tightened it swiftly, pink tingling on her cheeks when a gust of contrasting chilly breeze brushed past her, "What's with you and Priyanka?"

Charles looked up at her from his phone, a hand pushing open the door to the coffee shop, "Gigi said something?"

"Ah yes, then there is Gigi," Faint amusement gleamed in her eyes, furrowed eyebrows unknotting only to be raised as she tutted, "Falling in love, Romeo?"

The bell above the door chimed, filling in the silence left by Charles as they walked into The decaf blunt, a plush yet cozy café on 6th Ave, selling ridiculously expensive drinks and snacks to kids who wouldn't bat a lash before slipping an even extra 20 for them to spike their order. Her cousin, Inaaya had introduced her to the coffee house where she'd practically spent her entire high school life before moving to California when she got accepted into her dream school, CalArts.

Sighing lightly a few beats later, Charles chucked humorlessly and said, "I don't think that's ever gonna happe-"

A muffled groan slipped past her lips when she felt a famine figure crash into herself. The curse twisting her tongue fell silent when her gauzy eyes ran across the petite brunette's countenance. Tears crashed down the apples of her cheeks, a face which looked more innocent than an angel's. Her skin was flushed with eyes puffy and bloodshot.

"I'm so sorry." She breathed, her soft pink lower lip quivering as she rubbed her hazel eyes with shaky hands.

"Uh..." Sahar almost cringed unknowingly.

Charles flattened his palm on her shoulder, lightly bending down to reach her height with concern glinting in his expression, "Are you okay?"

She raised her damp frame of lashes, mild surprise spreading on her face at the gentleness of his words, before her already flushed cheeks turn an even deeper shade of pink and her lips cleave in a dreamy sigh.

Oh, she finds him hot, Sahar mused, somewhat amused as she watched her best friend be a little too busy sympathizing with her to realize the tiny detail.

Charles' dark irises lock on herself in a subtle glare as he vaguely raised a brow, causing her to roll her eyes before looking back at the girl.

Her carmine lips curved into a small smile, "You should really sit down."

"You want to sit with me?" The girl's wide eyes stretched further to a point she thought would leave a scar.

Sahar shook her head, furrowing her brows in confusion, "No, whenever did I say-"

"We really don't mind." Charles shrugged slightly, broad shoulders raising in a quick motion before dipping back down as he glanced back at herself, throwing an arm around her shoulder whilst dropping his hand from the girl.

"Yeah," she choked out, almost suffocating in his tight grasp, "Sure."

"Thank you so much." She sniffed into the sleeve of her Valentino blouse, the pink rims of her eyes filling with another wave of oceanic liquid.

"Sar, please get her some hot chocolate and me a cold coffee." Charles said, moving his arm from around her to lead the weepy kid away.

Bewilderment washed over Sahar's face, and she swiftly clutched his bicep, yanking him towards herself to harshly whisper in his ear, "You can take that order and shove it up your ass, right beside where your head currently is."

Charles shot her an apologetic smile, carefully unwrapping her lean fingers from where they draped halfway around his arm whilst mouthing a 'please' and walking away.