05 | she's the vogue

Her spine stiffened, a chill glossing its length, and she pursed her lips, looking over her shoulder. Beside her, Georgiana raised a brow.

Unapologetically masculine and arrogantly confident, the king stood with his hands tucked into khaki school pants, a lazy grin tugged at his immaculate face, "Well, darling. Did you like my present?"

Behind Ezekiel stood a wordless Abaeze with his seafoam eyes following their exchange alongside Emmet who was tugging at his collar in utter boredom and annoyance, his black painted nails, standing out against the white crisp school shirt and Reeve who of course had a smirk pasted on his face, brimming with mockery as his ocean-deep gaze traced her figure.

She took a sip of her coffee to avoid spilling it on his face instead.

"I did," she said uncomfortably, suppressing a sneer, "Thanks."

Reeve tipped his head to a side, loop-sided smirk beaming under the corridor lights and focused gazes from students around, "Then why aren't you wearing it?"

"Here," Ezekiel's deep baritone voice bounced off the walls as he stepped closer to her, snatching her attention from his knight, "Let me help you with it."

Sahar shot him a tight smile and laid the box on his offered palm that faced skyward.

She did not want to go down.

Murmurs and small gasps fell on the long corridor, the crowd watched their beloved king with curiosity as he picked out the bracelet, passing the empty box to Abaeze and clasping the string of diamonds around Sahar's wrist.

"I'd love to you out sometime next week." He whispered, fingertips lightly grazing her cheek, watching the over-the-top expensive gemstones glint wickedly under the florescent lights. It was most definitely not a question.

No matter how bitter; it was the truth. The elitists were untouchable. They did whatever the fuck they wanted to and that was that. Sahar could either just go with the flow or go down the hierarchy.

But Icarus's fall was definitely not on her to-do list and definitely not today.

So she smiled her most brilliant grin and said, "Sure, I'll just tell my flavor of the month, you'll be taking his place."

Ezekiel's smile almost fell, but he regained his composure, eyes narrowing slightly, "Don't be too harsh on him."

"Never," She feigned an offended look, "How often do you find a guy who can at least get you off?"

"Of course." Ezekiel shot her a you're-playing-with-fire look before turning, breezing down the hallway with long strides and Reeve was quick to join him, of course, after sending a flirty wink in her direction which caused a dangerous flutter of gilded butterfly wings in the pit of her stomach.

Abaeze shared a wary glance with Emmet before nudging him, and they soon followed suit. A smile perked at the edges of Sahar's red lips. The whispers, the gazes of adoration, the apprehensive eyes; she thrived on them.

She slammed her locker shut, the thud of metal against metal echoing in the silent hallway, causing Georgiana along with a few other students to flinch. Sahar flashed her a not-so-apologetic look before wagging her fingers in a short goodbye as she walked through the crowd that subtly parted for herself.

Twisting the doorknob, she pushed her way into the washroom, her somewhat warm coffee still clutched in one hand as she dropped her bag and iPhone on the counter, freezing abruptly when her gaze shot up to the mirror, her eyes meeting the reflection of another pair.