08 | friends can break your heart

"Give your dad the finger next time you see him."

Eventhough, their conversation had left her feeling perturbed, Sahar feigned a smirk, stumbling toward the door and draping her manicured fingers around the doorknob to pull it open, "And you punch yours instead of the mirror next time."

"Will do, bro." Emmet nodded distractedly, pouring himself another shot of liquor.

She swayed on her feet, glancing up once she stepped over the threshold with her brows drawn up in surprise when she met a pair of gorgeous irises. They contrasted unapologetically against his butterscotch skin and raven hair, almost beguilingly, glinting under the dimmed lights, a silent promise of chaos whispering over her caramel skin when his gaze ran over her.

"Hey." Abaeze said, a small smile forming on his lips, head tipped to the side.

She blinked, a rush of heat washing over her face as she watched Czarina brush past her, merely shooting her a polite smile as she entered the room she'd just exited and secure the door after herself leaving them all by themselves.

"Hey yourself." She spoke, tying the knot of her mask at the back of her head before leaning against the door frame.

"So," he mused, tucking his hands into his pockets, white shirt sleeves uncuffed and folded up to his elbows, "Not reading Wilder Girls this evening?"

She rolled her neck, honey glazed irises pointedly watching the world on the other side of the glass paneled tall windows, "It's nighttime."

"You weren't reading in the evening?"

"Maybe I was." Sahar shrugged nonchalantly as she usually did when she was trying to get a rise out if someone, yet he seemed completely calm. Cool as a cucumber.

Even a bit amused, in fact.

His eyes traced down her figure draped in the gorgeous red dress, "I don't see it on you."

"Maybe I left it in my car." She gritted out through a terse smile. Snap, you idiot.

"You came with Georgina." He argued, shuffling closer, leaving just a few inches between them.

Her cranberry hued lips tugged into a small frown, eyes narrowed in annoyance as she pushed past him, bumping her shoulder into his, "In her car then."

The sound of his silent chuckle echoed in her ears, mingling with the clicking of her tall heels as she strutted down the dark, modern corridor with her hands fisted and the stunning dress sliding up her thighs with every step.

She turned left at the corner, reaching a pair of tall glass door, curved at the top with gold and white intricate patterns, that led to a balcony overlooking the sprawling well-trimmed lawns. Her hands clasped the handles, pushing them open as she stepped into the night air, dark Manhattan sky blanketing the world around her.

She breathed out, a gust of smokey air leaving her red parted lips as she stood in the round balcony practically watching as the seconds ticked by, turning into minutes, the fold between her perfectly plucked brows deepening. The remembrance of the time her father and her were on better terms seemed ages ago and it was almost absurd how easy it was to open up Emmet, the bully of all people once he'd whined about his daddy issues as well.