Based On A Lie

Björn finally found the courage to get up and see her. She was laying in bed in a hospital gown, still unaware that he now knows the truth. Though she was worried, Björn's actions were gentle, allowing her to play on.

He glided from the door to her side softly and sat beside her on the bed. He examined her face with a gentle gaze. He was still baffled and in disbelief that he had been lied to all this time.

"How are you feeling?" He asked her, brushing her hair back. She smiled, her worries falling short and softened beneath his hand gesture. Lena placed her hand on her stomach and looked at her belly.

"I'm doing much better, besides my foot. I can't wait to go home. Doctor said I can leave soon."

"Yes, and I also cannot wait until we're home," she smiled and he continued to stroke her head. "Because as soon as we're home you'll begin to pack your things. Everything– and move out. There is nothing between us anymore, not even a baby to keep us together now," he patted her belly.

She looked at him mortified that he had been told. She cursed at the doctor's name for going behind her back. She specifically told him not to say anything about a baby, but now her plan was collapsing.

"Björn–" she sat up and winced from the pain of her sprained ankle.

"What the hell were you thinking?"

"I wanted to have a baby, Björn! I knew I'd get pregnant sooner or later and it was the only way I could keep you from leaving. I knew you'd leave me. There are times you didn't even come home without ever explaining where you were. You don't even look at me the same."

"Well, you're right and now I never will," he walked around the room before continuing to question her. "And where is the baby, huh? How will you pull that off? And your stomach that doesn't grow?"

"I know someone– she doesn't even want her baby," she began to cry. She had everything planned. She had already spoken to the woman who'd bear the child. Lena made sure she bought strap-on round cushions for her belly for each stages and hoped Björn wouldn't go near her stomach. "I'm sorry, but this would have been wonderful for us, to have a family."

"To live based on a lie?" He scoffed. He was disgusted. "How could you do this to me?"

"Björn, I love you," she cried. "Please forgive me."

"Not a chance in hell," he paused trying to think clearly. "I'll have my lawyer begin divorce papers tomorrow. This– I should have asked for months ago. I'm a fool to have believed you."

"No!"

He left her until the discharge papers were ready. Together they left as they arrived and settled into different rooms that night. By morning, Lena had begun packing her clothes and Björn dialed his divorce attorney. This was the end for them at last.

Björn remained silent for the next two days, alone in the house, ignoring phone calls, neglecting work and becoming close friends with his bottle of whiskey who he talked to and spilled his problems to.

No one had heard about the news with Lena and Björn, because while he was keeping silent Agnetha was preparing for her trip, and everyone else had become busy with their own lives. Benny and Stig were in the studio working together, wondering where the hell he was.

Agnetha packed her items in a weekender bag and Dick had done the same. When she finished with her items, she began to pack items for the children, too.

"Mama, why can't we come?" Linda asked.

"Because sweetheart, this trip is for Dick and I only and you know what I'll bring you when I return?"

"What?"

"Anything you ask for," Dick answered for Agnetha. She looked up at the tall man and smiled.

"I want papa," she sighed. Agnetha's smile faded, surprised that she wasn't asking for a dolly.

"Well, you'll be spending a lot of time with him. Don't worry."

"Yay! Oh, I also want a dolly, mama." There it is, Agnetha thought and laughed at her daughter.

While Agnetha prepared for everything, Björn spent his hours alone in a large dark house thinking of what to make of his life.

This was his original plan. To leave Lena. She had opened the door to him now and he took the chance. He thought long and hard about what makes him happy. It was Agnetha. That woman runs around his heart without him even realizing. She's the love of his life. The truest love he had shared was with her. She made him whole.

Morning had come around, bringing Agnetha to rise early. She had to make her train by 1 PM, but there were other stops before then. She carried out her plans one by one until she reached Björn's door.

"Hello," she said as soon as Björn opened the front door for her. He greeted her back, feeling hope in his chest when he saw her.

She wore a red summer dress that was polka dotted and light. The two children hugged their fathers legs and rushed into the home leaving the blonde beauty before him to gape at. It was time to fight for her again, but he didn't know how.

Agnetha knew there was something off about him. She didn't know what it was, but she had never seen him this way, not in a very long time.

"Björn? Is everything okay?"

"Yes– no. Yes, everything is okay," he smiled. He didn't want to ruin her day. Although she was not convinced, she explained all of the items in the bag, gave him the spare key if he needed to go to her house, and reminded him of their bed time, as if he didn't know already. It was very much Agnetha to do so, so he didn't mind it.

"I got it. Don't worry," he said. "What time do you leave?"

"1 PM."

"You return on..."

"Friday." Thats too long, he thought. An entire week? She doesn't even know the truth. How was he to tell her, to stop her? He couldn't.

"Take care, Agnetha," he smiled and she returned it. She wondered what raced through his mind but it was not hitting her. The message was not passing along.

Björn held his eye contact quite strong with Agnetha. There was too much he wanted to say but the time was ticking and his tongue became tied. She also stared at him, worriedly, because she knew him. Agnetha sensed he had something to say, and he usually would but something wasn't right with him.

She still loved him, undoubtedly, but she had grown to accept that their future was a broken one. As she took her eyes away she was reminded of the man inside the car, who had been waiting patiently.

It's not too late, Björn thought. I can make her stay. She doesn't have to go on that trip and leave for an entire week, but who am I to stop her? Björn understood that he was the man her heart was torn about, so her happiness with Dick kept him back and in his place.

Agnetha returned to the car that had Dick was waiting for her in and they made their way onto their next stop before the train station.