Chapter 6: Into the Abyss

"Oh God the stench!" Chris coughed, trying to find some 'fresh' air before going nose blind. "And there goes my sense of smell."

"Yup, same here." Sakuri said, still pinching her nose.

"Me too. You hear that rushing noise right?" Devin said as two doors opened. One directly ahead and the other to their right.

The contents of the two rooms had flooded through up to their upper thighs. The sudden surge caused a bathtub effect, drenching them in the foul smelling fluid. The fluids were the least of their concern as a strange green fish-like creature was sent in too, much like the Arachne before, it had a gaping maw full of sharp teeth.

"Well that sucked!" Chris sputtered, trying to not vomit as he spat away any fluid around his mouth.

"Yeah, you think?" Devin said as he tried to wring out his coat. "I actually liked those designs."

"Let's just keep moving..." Sakuri said flustered as the fluids had made her button-up translucent, exposing the basic white bra underneath.

Staring everywhere but her, the two men tried to figure out which of their coats was less disgusting in that moment before Devin decided his was less soaked after he wrung the sleeves out.

"Here. It's a bit bulky, but it'll keep you a bit more protected. A little less exposed too." Devin said as he handed her the hunter's coat, Chris giving him a fistbump in exchange.

"Thanks for helping a brother out..." Chris said before the fish creature snuck up on him, sinking its teeth into his collar bone before the force of the impact pushed him under the fluid. Hands shot into the fluid as the creature ripped him away from the others. The green fluid becoming red where it pulled him, but the teeth were deep into the bone and he couldn't get a grip on the creature to force it out. His lungs began to hurt as he tried to fight the urge to breathe. Once more the hands rushed down and pulled him up, Sakuri pulling him up out of the fluid while Devin gripped the creature to stop it from moving. Chris gasped for air and in pain as Devin pried its teeth out of him before it was tossed to the other side of the room. "Thank...thank you."

Sakuri winced as she gently ran her fingers near his puncture wounds. "We need to find something to clean these with."

Chris gripped his shoulder as he went into the room beside them, it too was flooded with the fluid. Wading through the sludge he spotted something hiding within it and managed to pull out a blue variant of the medicine, the vial was slightly longer than the red variant. Despite the sharp pain in his shoulder getting worse from the fluid getting within the wounds he pocketed it for later and left the room.

"Hey I think you dropped this." Devin said, holding up the red valve handle that was dropped during the attack.

"Thanks and that room was empty. Let's move on ahead." Chris lied as they left the room before the fish creature could circle around for another nibble, valve in hand.

Continuing through an empty room, Chris ignored the door to the right and found himself able to climb out of the sludge and onto a dry platform before he sat against the wall.

"Are you feeling alright?" Sakuri asked as the other two climbed out of the sludge.

"I'll live." He said faintly as he looked in the room beside him, two more fish creatures and a swarm of those purple Leeches. Standing up slowly he looked at the two. "I'll go on ahead. I don't need anyone else getting injured if I can help it."

"You sure? You're not looking so hot." Devin said, noting Chris' degrading physical state.

"A little medicine will probably do me some good...if we can find any more." Chris said, ignoring the vial in his pocket. "I just want to do a little scouting."